Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great mcmtanyel 2013-12-09 21:36

Hi Ourania,
Just out of curiosity, has it ever snowed in Leros? What kind of heating system is popular, do you get by with space heaters or is anything more substantial needed?
Nice to see the less touristy season, the real Leros.
Regards,
MT

Old 12-10-2013, 05:14 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To mcmtanyel: Hello Murat

Hello dear Murat,
thank you for considering this a picture of the "real Leros"! It's interesting you're asking about snow just now as there will be snowfalls all over Greece for the next couple of days, heavy and lasting snowfalls in Crete too. It rarely snows on Leros and it lasts only for a short while. The children go out holding their mouths open to catch the snow. I've seen this scene many times, it's funny and touching.
As for heating, we surely need something more than space heaters, although some of us have to cope with the cold in this way only. When it's cold and humid or extremely windy, like it will be tomorrow, the cold is too strong. I only pray that the wind doesn't cause any power cuts because that will be extremely hard to deal with in this weather. But then I think that there are 350.000 households all over Greece with no electricity because of the crisis... I hope the cold won't last too long.
All the best,
Ourania