Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great Royaldevon 2013-11-14 12:10

Hello Gert,

He was determined to get a close-up of the ancient temple. I can understand why, after travelling so far, he might have been driven to get as much detail as possible but, it was a hair-raising climb!
You have taken a nicely inclined view, the figure well placed and his gaze directing other viewers across the frame. You have some lovely details of the carvings and the huge stone parapets.
The whole appears to have a lot of damage. Is that just general decay, from wars, or bird damage?

My warm regards,
Bev :-)

Old 11-14-2013, 07:48 PM
TE Expert

Default To Royaldevon: damage

Thanks Bev,
I wouldn't know the reason for the damages of this particular wall. Thats probably a combination of 900 years of steady decay plus more recent wars. But all around Angkor a lot of plundering has been going on for years and unfortunately I believe the area is even now not enough protected. Cambodia is an extremely corrupt country where people high up can make huge profits from selling the national treasures and get away with it. You can see this for example.
Kind regards,
Gert
Old 11-14-2013, 10:37 PM
TE Expert

Angry Plunder

How very sad to see national treasures not just plundered but wrecked in the process. Many conquering nations removed treasures in the past but, in these enlightened days, you would imagine strict protection would be enforced!

I am amazed at the extent of your travels, Gert.

My warm regards,
Bev