Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Travel

Notices

Old 10-21-2007, 03:36 AM
TE Newbie

Default Bac Ha market, Vietnam. No more.

Sadly, the famous Bac Ha market in Lao Cai province in Vietnam has been destroyed in the name of "progress" and tourism.... It was a famous market, and very popular with photographers because of the many Hill Tribe groups that would assemble there on Sunday, and because of their brightly colored clothing. It was also a special place because the locals seemed to go about their usual business and socializing, seemingly unaware, or tactfully ignoring the throngs of tourists that show up by tour bus. I was there about 2 weeks ago, and the original area has ben totally destroyed and is under construction, no doubt by the government trying to "improve" the marketability of this place to foreign tourists. A new area is now being used, but it is covered by ugly blue tarps, and (the background / lighting / environment) is not nearly as photo friendly as before. Furthermore, the streets leading to and from the market are now totally crowded with tourist booths run by the Vietnamese, the consumate middleman, selling cheap machine made "hill tribe" crafts. It was a sad surprize for me when I turned up at Bac Ha, but it seems an inevitable turn of events. Often tourism kills or corrupts the very thing that it loves. "Traditional hill tribe market in North West Vietnam", is no more.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:05 AM
TE Newbie

Im planning a trip there on Feb. and according to what Ive been reading, the place you saw under construction is actually a conservation matter, to keep the market inside, but in better shape and conditions. I saw some pics from 2008 and I think theres still a long way to wait. I only hope that on 2011 it will be re opened, so I can take new pics and show you!!
Old 12-30-2010, 04:59 AM
TE Newbie

Default bac ha market

oh i don't think so. Bac ha market is still great thing that every body want to explore the countryside and the local life
Ok a little bit more tourists but still fine
Old 07-15-2011, 08:05 AM
TE Newbie

I´m planning a trip to Guilin
Guilin is a clean city with charming waterfront and ever-changing moods. Hills and parks mottle the urban landscape. A few sights, like Elephant Trunk Hill, Wave-Subduing (Fubo) Hill, and the port area, are illuminated at night. And the many small restaurants offer particularly Li River cuisine, such as fish, eel, frog, snail, shrimp and snake.

In addition to the landscape tour in Guilin, tourists today are offered added attractions in the neighboring areas, including a virgin forest in Longsheng, the Ancient Ling Canal in Xingan and floating on Li River, etc.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:34 AM
TE Newbie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekvietnamtour View Post
oh i don't think so. Bac ha market is still great thing that every body want to explore the countryside and the local life
Ok a little bit more tourists but still fine
Totally agreed. You can still enjoy the local life here. Or at least, on the way to this market, there are a lot of beautiful landscapes.

Welcome to Vietnam
Old 01-02-2012, 01:24 PM
TE Expert

Default nw VN

Sapa is well worth a detour if you're crossing the border at Lao Cai / Hekou.

http://www.treklens.com/gallery/Asia..._East/Lao_Cai/

http://www.trekearth.com/viewphotos.php?l=7&p=48107
Old 03-22-2014, 07:21 AM
TE Newbie

Vietnam images in the world is not good but in my point of view its good country after the war of america hope every visitor had wish to tour the vietnam.No doubt the country is under constrauction but peoples are very helpful for the tourist...