Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great marabu61 2013-09-15 3:44

Hello Will
For a non composed shot across a crowded restaurant this is a very beautiful portrait, more a piece of art than a simple photograph.
Now to the subject of intruding the privacy of other people in public places by photographers, that is a very delicate subject and difficult to answer. I think with todays phone cameras everywhere, one just has to accept to be photographed in one way or an other. As long as you are not intrusive or disturbing the other person, I think it is ok, but it would certainly be fairer to the photographed person if the photographer would ask permission after the shot. I think in this case the girl wouldn't mind as the result is such a beauty ( and by that I don't mean the girl, even though she is beautiful, but the whole composition). She might even have been proud of it and wanted a copy of her own.
have a great sunday
Daniel

Old 09-15-2013, 12:20 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To marabu61: Privacy

Hello Daniel
Thank you for your thoughtful comments. I tend to agree with you about the privacy issue. But I didn't have the bottle to approach her to ask permission, either before or after the event.
Regarding the composition: you're right, it was a grab shot and thus un-composed, at least until the editing phase. I had a remote shutter release with me, so I placed the camera on the table, pointing in the girl's general direction, and waited for an interesting expression. At 70mm, I got her, and a lot of the surroundings as well. So this is a fairly radical crop from the original file, which has unfortunately also had the inevitable effect of accentuating the noise. But I'll live with that.
Regards
Will