Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 08-21-2013, 11:22 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Liverpool Public Library, Sydney

Hi there! I was just wondering if any of you folks have had past experience volunteering photos to the Liverpool Public Libray in Sydney, Australia for their use in a display? Their request now is quite large......65 photos and full file size, and requested for free. I am trying to negotiate at least some sort of honorarium. I am honored but a little confused by the quantity. Thanks to anyone that might be able to enlighten me. Cheers, Steve
Old 08-31-2013, 03:53 PM
TE Expert

Default Liverpool Public Library, Sydney

Hi Steve

The quantity they order is very large, I would not proceed with the order when there are no guarantees that you can earn some money with the exhibition. They get your photographs for free, exhibits them and possibly ask the media to use them to advertise their exhibition. That is not correct.

First you have the full copyright, so you are entitled to get a fee for exhibiting and if that is the case publishing each time.

How come that they have selected you? How long will be the exhibition? Who is the target visitor group? Is it a free exhibition or with entrance tickets?

The least they should cover your cost of printing and mailing to them. Otherwise charge them a flat fee (for 65 pictures a flat fee is usual) including your printing and mailing costs. Mark every print clearly with your copyright.

I hope that helps a bit

Warm regards
Urs
Old 09-01-2013, 05:10 AM

Steve, have you checked the bona fides of the person who contacted you? The Liverpool library is officially called the Liverpool City Library, website at http://mylibrary.liverpool.nsw.gov.au/
When you say 'full size' do you mean highest resolution files, or printed photos? If the latter, the whole idea of donating them for free is preposterous, given the cost of printing and postage. If you mean digital, do they intend to print and mount them for an exhibition like one of those shown at http://mylibrary.liverpool.nsw.gov.au/exhibition.php ?

The 'exhibitions' of digital images are clearly thematically organised, so that may explain the request for a large number - are the ones requested linked thematically in your gallery eg. by place or subject? The photos on display on their website are rather small, and it appears they are actually on display in printed form in the library itself: click on the Vietnam gallery - it has a note about the physical exhibition and acknowleges the photographers.

I would not agree to anything unless you are satisfied the request is genuine and comes from the said library. Further, I would insist on full acknowledgment of you as the photographer of the entire series, and copyright holder, too, if you are concerned about the possible use of the photos as Urs points out. He has posited some interesting questions.

Regards,
Andrew
Old 09-03-2013, 06:40 AM
TE Junior Member

Default More info regarding the photo request

Thanks for your input Urs and Andrew. It certainly calls up some issues; should our photographs be free to the public? Personally I am comfortable with someone using a few. But in this case the request went rather quickly from and I quote: “a few” to 65 full file size photos. It was to facilitate a display of Myanmar. While the gentleman was very polite, and his email address did reflect that he worked for the Liverpool City Library in Sydney, the size of the request ultimately offended me. I changed from my initial response of free, and decided to ask for $400; a flat fee for all 65 photos which they would by the way print at the library. It was my plan to use the $400 to pay for a laptop computer and the university tuition for a Monk I am sponsoring in Laos. But the reply from the library was that they could not help me in this regard. I replied that I would then still volunteer 10 photos. Ironically I have not heard anything since, which to me seems rather abrupt. Anyway, it was probably legitimate but I admittedly smelled a scam. I feel it is very presumptuous to request 65 full size files which of course have to be sent somehow, without and gesture of some sort of honorarium to the photographer. I am going to take the step of copying the initial email that was forwarded to me from the trekearth site. The gentleman in question is a member of trekearth, but not a contributing photographer or commenter. His first letter was mostly a form letter because on searching on Google I found a few other identical copies to other photographers:

“Dear Sir
My name is Aarti Suryaprakash and I work for Liverpool City Library, Sydney Australia. The Liverpool City Library is a local public library, which is free to all to join and use. In addition to other services, we provide an Exhibitions program to inform and entertain our patrons. We are currently putting together an exhibition about “Focus on Myanmar”. In this connection, we would like to exchange ideas, photographs or landmarks relevant to this exhibition and which will be informative to the community. There are excellent photographs posted by you on Trekearth eg. Among the Fields of
Barley. We request your permission to use some photographs for our exhibition. If you give permission, can you please send us high resolution image of the pictures. This exhibition is FREE and the images will
NOT be used for any commercial purposes. We will acknowledge your name as a source of these images. Looking forward to hear from you.
Thank you
Regards
Aarti Suryaprakash
Customer Service Officer
Liverpool City library
Sydney Australia”

I believe this is an important issue to the members here because there will most probably be other requests made in the future. It is wonderful when one's photos are appreciated but I felt the magitude of the request was unreasonable in these circumstances. If I lived in Sydney that might perhaps change things for me. Thanks everyone, sincerely, Steve Saba
Old 09-03-2013, 08:12 AM

Steve, I have sent you a private email about this matter.
Regards,
Andrew