Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photography

Notices

Old 08-25-2013, 06:44 PM
TE Newbie

Default iPhone vs DSLR

I know this is blasphemy to the photography gods, but I find myself wanting to use an iPhone over a DSLR simply for convenience. A DSLR is bulky and I don't have it with me at all times. The iPhone camera is getting better and better and can do so much with it that a camera cannot do.

Obviously you can't replicate DSLR quality with an iPhone (sensor size, lenses, low light capability, etc.) but convenience, weight, and size are big factors for me especially when traveling. Has anyone else given up their DSLR for an iPhone or do you use both?
Old 08-26-2013, 08:06 PM

I don't own a smartphone of any kind so can't comment directly. I do sometimes just take a compact out with me rather than carrying the Dslr.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:18 PM
TE Junior Member

I use whatever device is available to me at the time. The iPhone is my last resort. I usually carry a Nikon Coolpix AW 100 in my car, it just lives there for whenever I might need it. When I go somewhere with the intention of taking photos, I'll take my DSLR. So on photo trips I'll have my DSLR, the Coolpix (always in the car) and my iPhone (always in my pocket). I use all three depending on what I feel like.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:42 AM
TE Newbie

Unhappy No Experience

Hello, I have no experience on taking pictures, I just discovered that I enjoy it very much. I also don't know anything about cameras. I would like to buy one that takes good pictures, but it's not expensive. Would you please guide me a little bit of what to get? Thank you very much.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:47 PM
TE Newbie

I would suggest getting a DSLR with a kit lens. This gives you the most control over the photos. Either Nikon or Canon is a good choice if you are serious about getting into photography and learning about it. I prefer Nikon and would get a D3200 (great for beginners) with 18-55mm lens.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-...ds=nikon+d3200

If you want to save some money, you could buy a used and/or older model (D3100). Reading the manual that comes with your camera and read as much as you can about photography or even consider a class at a community college or art center if you can. Good luck!