Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great cdmonson 2013-08-18 16:42

If this is La Vega in Puente Alto (near the highway just off Domingo Tocornal), you were pretty close to one of the truly phenomenal poor areas of Santiago: Chiloe. I used to live there in the early 2000s. Essentially it's from Eyzaguirre in the north to the highway in the south, and from the highway in the east to Santa Rosa to the west, but the area along Avenida Chiloe and west of there is probably the most colorful. (And by colorful, I mean an area you wouldn't want to visit after dark, especially not with a nice camera). There's a small hill to the east that gives a panoramic overview of the neighborhood: row upon row upon row (stretching for nearly two miles) of what Chileans call the "blocks," but what most North Americans would call the projects. It's a truly awesome sight, both for the sheer number of people jammed into the area and the level of poverty and desperation. Of course, some areas are worse than others, but it's all beyond the comprehension of most North Americans.

But I digress. Kudos for getting beyond the tourist zones and seeing the real Santiago. I love the people and the soul of the poorer parts of the city. (I spent two of my happiest years in Santiago). This shot captures the real Chile. Thanks for sharing.

Clark

Old 08-18-2013, 11:47 PM
TE Expert

Default To cdmonson: The Projects of Santiago

Hi Clark
thanks so much for all that information, that helps me out alot.

sounds like you know exactly what I was trying to convey in the photo.

as for the camera, I should have mentioned in the note that i actually didn't carry my camera in hand, i kept it in the bag the entire time - only took it out very very quickly to capture a photo or two.

but perhaps thats all it takes!

thanks again
craig