Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Announcements

Notices

Old 07-26-2013, 04:52 PM
TE official

Smile Trek Earth and Wikitravel Cooperation

Hello,

My name is Aleksandra and I’m a community admin on TrekEarth. We're excited to announce a collaboration between TrekEarth and the free travel guide http://wikitravel.org.

This will be beneficial for members of both sites. TrekEarth photographers have the opportunity to showcase their art to a wider audience (over 350,000 visitors per day come to Wikitravel), while Wikitravel's visitors get the benefit of more beautiful photographs in the free guide.

Wikitravel's Main Page (http://wikitravel.org/en/Main_Page) is the most visited page in the travel guide, and with thousands of views per day, gives great exposure to photos featured there. Wikitravel already works with professional photographers who consider Wikitravel a great travel website to promote their pictures among the millions of users that Wikitravel has each month. One of those users is our own TrekEarth lead moderator Porteplume (http://wikitravel.org/en/User:Porteplume), who has uploaded many beautiful photos to Wikitravel.

All images on Wikitravel are subject to a Creative Commons Share Alike license and can be redistributed on websites that have the same license (for example, Wikipedia), provided they attribute the photo's author. Attribution takes the form of clearly specifying who the image creator is, and of linking back to the original picture source (in this case, your TrekEarth gallery). Even after uploading a picture to Wikitravel, you are the author of that image and you own the copyright. This only affects photos you upload to Wikitravel.

Joining Wikitravel doesn't mean that you will have to share your pictures there. It is absolutely voluntary. It's your decision if you would like to share your art with Wikitravelers.

If you find this opportunity interesting, we would love to hear from you. Here (http://wikitravel.org/en/Welcome,_TrekEarth_members) is a welcome page that created especially for TrekEarth members which explains how to upload pictures to Wikitravel and navigate on the site.

If you have any questions please contact either me (www.trekearth.com/members/IBAlex) or Porteplume http://www.trekearth.com/members/Porteplume/).

Warm regards,

Aleksandra (IBAlex)
Old 07-28-2013, 08:59 AM
TE Expert

Smile Wikipedia Wikitravel

Hi pretty Alex
There is a similitude between the two sites ?
Another question : English pages and French pages are different in Wikitravel, a member is allowed to use both of them ?
Best regards

سعيد

Last edited by Didi; 07-28-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:36 PM
TE official

Default Reply to Didi

Didi, thank you for your reply! Both Trek Earth and Wikitravel showcase beautiful, unique and interesting places around the world. Wikitravel focuses on creating articles (travel guides) that will help you during your travels. Trek Earth focuses on pictures- there are so many breath taking pictures over here that could make a great addition to Wikitravel articles. That's where I see the are of cooperation between those two sites. What do you think about this idea?

Yes, all the language versions (English, French, German, etc..) are different because they were edited by different users. Wikitravel is a crowd-sourced project, a guide written by travelers for the travelers. English Wikitravel is the most visited and developed version however French is one of the most important foreign version as well. You can use, edit and upload pictures to as many Wikitravel versions as you wish (provided you speak the local language of course).

Didi, do you think you have some good picture that we can feature on our Main Page and show it to a wider audience?

Merci!

Warm regards,
Alex
Old 07-29-2013, 08:43 PM
TE Expert

Smile I will think about this project

Hi Aleks
Tomorrow I must wake up at 5 AM for travelling in Corrèze for about three days
I'll study this interesting project after my return
Kind regards

سعيد
Old 07-29-2013, 08:46 PM
TE official

Default Reply to Didi

Sounds good, Didi! Bon voyage! Talk to you once you are back! Warm regards, IBAlex
Old 08-04-2013, 03:32 PM
TE Expert

Question Other reactions

I would like to know the opinion of other members
Cheers

سعيد
Old 08-04-2013, 06:59 PM

Responding in a purely personal capacity - I won't be putting anything up on Wikitravel. I don't mind displaying images here but I'm not putting them on a site which can benefit commercially from my work.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:52 AM
TE Expert

I haven't used Wikitravel yet, but I use Wikipedia all the time, for free , and find it very useful !
They might make money on what we put on it !
But I benefit more from them than they benefit from me.
So if they want to use my pictures they are welcome.
However, I won't put any on the site myself, as I feel I have my hands full with what I do already, without adding any extra cyber activities.
Regards.
Marie-Louise.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:04 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Porteplume

Hello everyone,

It's a pity that so few have responded here because Wikitravel is really worth participating. You are really free to upload your photos or not and perhaps you want just creating articles about your own town or village or neighbourhood if you think they have a particularly touristic aspect and that they ought to be known by more people from everywhere on the world...

See you there on Wikitravel that can be read in many languages...
Old 09-01-2013, 09:50 PM
TE Expert

Default Finaly

I am in different sites
No time for me to join Wikitravel
Sory

سعيد