Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great rogerl 2013-05-16 5:42

Gert, interesting shot of these kids, the older ones happy to be there, the younger ones perhaps wondering what's going on, and the woman in back taking it all in. The background is also interesting, with not much there in the way of houses. I wonder how much Ouagadougou has changed in the past 30 years.

This is another very well-done B&W scan. I'm curious, having scanned about 5000 photos myself over the past few years, dating back to the mid 1940s, what scanner you used, how your film was stored before you scanned it, and how much postprocessing you needed to do on the results.

Roger

Old 05-16-2013, 05:47 PM
TE Expert

Default To rogerl: scanning

Thanks Roger for your kind remarks.
I have a Nikon scanner called Coolscan V (=5). I bought it 5-6 years ago and it was getting old already then. I have stored my pictures in my flats, at a normal temperature in dark wardrobes and reasonably dry air. Nothing particular. The need for postprocessing differs a lot from time to time. Usually I need to clean noise, mainly visible in skies, and make some slight adjustments of colors. At other times almost nothing is needed and I don't quite understand why there are such differences between the different rolls. Most av my color pictures are Kodachromes and they hardly seem to have changed at all, not even in more than 40 years. Still they come out of the scanner quite differently.
Best wishes,
Gert
Old 05-17-2013, 01:57 AM
TE Newbie

Default Scanning

I had a Nikon 5000 scanner, which I have since sold to a friend to scan his film. I scanned about 3000 slides and about 4000 color negs. They were generally stored poorly, particularly the negs, and were often dirty and sometimes had some mold. Yes, most of the color was fine, but some of the older Ektachromes were brownish. The Nikon scanner software did a decent job on some of these, but Photoshop was generally better.

Roger