Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Forum Feedback and Support

Notices

Old 05-15-2013, 04:25 PM
TE Junior Member

Here is another discovery I made: If the note has been found useful by others, then the button will usually work for me, too. However, every now and then it won't. In this case, if I insist (i.e. click on useful again), it works and my name gets added to the list right away.
If the note has not been found useful by others and the button did not work for me the first time, it doesn't matter if I click again or how many times I click again, it just won't work.
So here are the questions I would ask your team to trouble-shoot:
1) Look at photos that have got lots of critiques whose notes have not been found useful by anyone. These photos are suspect. Is there something unusual about them?
2) Are some people consistently getting useful clicks and some not? In other words, is the problem with the whole account? The reason I ask this is because there are some people whose notes I could not mark useful on more than one occasion but I don't have the tools to look globally to make generalizations.
Hope this helps toward the solution of the puzzle.

Last edited by mcmtanyel; 05-15-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:31 PM
Retired admin. Please direct issues to IBobi.

Thanks! I'll pass the information along.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:57 PM
TE Expert

Judging from the examples provided earlier it seems very likely that the problem is connected with certain members' accounts. Apparently this problem started towards the end of April. Since then these members have not received any "useful" comments on their notes and it is impossible to add any.

This reminds me of a period last year (or maybe 2011) when certain members' critiques never added any points.

Gert
Old 05-15-2013, 08:12 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Porteplume

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmtanyel View Post
1) Look at photos that have got lots of critiques whose notes have not been found useful by anyone. These photos are suspect. Is there something unusual about them?
Hi mcmtanyel,

Can you please give us a couple of concrete example (URL) of photos having got many critiques but not one single "useful" rating for the note? It will be easier for us to check them...

Friendly greetings - Viviane
Old 05-16-2013, 09:21 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Viviane,
I retraced my comments and here are some that fit the criteria:
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/photo1418487.htm
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/photo1417451.htm (just one other critique, though.)
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/photo1414405.htm
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/photo1417898.htm (just one other critique, though.)

Here is a new development:
I was not able to mark these useful when I critiqued them but on my retrace, I was able to:
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/photo1417652.htm
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/photo1418298.htm

Here's another strange case. This member has very few photos. I cannot mark this one useful:
http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Asi...oto1418033.htm
But I can, on all his other photos (there goes Gert's theory out the window).

Isn't detective work fun?
Cheers,
MT
Old 05-17-2013, 06:43 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Porteplume

Thank you MT, it's a great and precise detective work indeed!

That's exactly the way troubles should be presented, I think it will be easier now for Lucia & the TE Techs to find out where the problem is...

Greetings,
Viviane
Old 05-20-2013, 01:43 PM
TE Expert

Default Ability to mark notes as "useful"......

Dear Viviane (and others),

Sorry to butt in here, but I cannot recall ever having had any problem marking interesting and informative notes as "useful" provided that the note given by the photographer has been of "sufficient" length.

If I try to mark a note of just, say, one line of text as "useful", it certainly won't work and often if the note is of just two lines of text it similarly won't work. But if the note is of "sufficient" length, covering, say, three or four lines or more, it always works.

Personally, I thought that this was simply another means of encouraging photographers to write decent and informative notes about their photographs, a view which I support wholeheartedly. Because TE exists for the purpose of "Learning about the Earth through Photography", I really do think reasonable notes should be encouraged. There a few things I dislike more than photographers who are too lazy to write anything more than "Shot in London" or "A photograph in France" - and I must admit to feeling disinclined to write critiques on pictures with such scanty notes.

Surely if one has gone to the effort to take a photograph and process it and upload it, it should not be too much trouble to write at least a short paragraph of text to describe the place, the situation, how you took the picture and what inspired you to take the picture in the first place?

I hope this helps!

Kind Regards,

John.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:35 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi John,
I try to mark the note "useful" if the photographer has made a sufficient attempt at describing what the photo is all about. But I agree with you, "Shot in London" or "A photograph in France" would not cut it for me. However, I evaluate the photo separately from the the note.
To me, the most time consuming part of uploading a photo to TE is preparing the note. However, I have learned so much just by trying to prepare my notes for the photos I have uploaded. First and foremost, my notes have taught me.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:49 AM
TE Expert

Default Notes and Critiques...........

Hello Murat,

Yes, I agree with you entirely!

I spend a lot of time and effort researching things to write in my notes and I think that is something which makes TE so "special" compared to other sites such as Flickr, where people simply upload pictures with usually little or no accompanying notes. And, like yourself, I find I learn a huge amount about different places (and photography too) not only from reading other peoples' notes, but also by compiling my own.

Likewise, I try to write something useful when I submit critiques too - I hate comments which consist of nothing more than "Great Shot" or "Super capture" - they are pointless and a waste of time and no-one learns anything from them.

Kind Regards,

John.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:13 AM
TE Junior Member

Unhappy Useful or useless

I wonder what the point is of useful button is that fails to work,mine is useless at the moment!