Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great daddo 2013-04-02 16:05

Ciao cara Cristina. Pleasure to see your work once again. My first reaction was to think of one of Emir Kosturica's films about the Roma/Gypsies- in which he conveys the exuberance of life and a touch of pathos and mischief. I do wonder under what circumstances you took this photo. It seems staged (I mean like a performance on stage) yet it also looks like nonno's backyard as I can see a grapevine with ripe grapes. Whatever the set-up, it is a delightful photo and a great companion to your note. My best wishes. Klaudio.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:49 PM
TE Expert

Default To daddo: re:

ciao Klaudio
thanks again for your words!
well, the photo is not staged but it was taken during the Maastricht carnival of 2011, so yes, the old man is dressed in costume and he has a lot of accessories and details which one could refer to as gypsy-like. I don't remember the theme of the car he was in but it had to do with foolishness, drunkenness and old age.
I never met my grandfathers (they both died before or during WWII) so I only remember my grandmothers and both belonged to the generation of people who had always been "old" - as in wise, mature, steadfast. my "nonna" looked old even when she was not that old - back then, a woman at 50 was already considered half-dead...
I always think that we should strive for a "golden middle" - if it was wrong in the past to prematurely relegate middle-aged people to a forgotten corner, so it is wrong now to pretend that aging doesn't exist and that we can be young forever.
at least that's my take on the subject
c.