Forums


Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Forum Feedback and Support

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-13-2013, 01:59 AM
Sonata11 Sonata11 is offline
TE Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 449
Default My photos were removed

Hello,

Recently many of my photos were removed. Could you (I mean, Moderators) explain me, and other members as well, what was wrong in my inactivated photos, like for example: this, this, this, this, this, or

this?

and today also Stairs Of Caldea" (photo1407585.htm) (and "Railway Platform In Wroclaw" (photo1409517.htm)

Do you see here nude persons, pets, flowers, family members, my own shadow or reflections? Are they shots of common objects (like closeups of any flowers or plants, water droplets, toothbrushes etc.) or photos which are purely abstract images and with a studio-like effect? No, they conform all the rules. So it seems the notes were the reason. I got automated e-mails:

The reason is:
> -Unacceptable Note.

Your photo ......seems to
> violate the TrekEarth terms of service and therefore has been inactivated.
>
> The reason is:
> -Unacceptable Note
>
>

Well, what does it mean? Were the notes offensive or meaningless? Also not.I never write such notes. You can check my other notes that they also are reasonable. So what was the reason?

If the photos SEEM to violate TOS, why they are inactivated? So that no one can see them and check how the rules are executed?

I will cite Keith’s remark after Danyy removedall his photos:

To remove your images is of course your right if that is what you wish to do. Remember that by doing so you are removing all the critiques others gave to your work.

But it is just what you are doing! You are removing the photo with all the critiques others gave me. Many people here, like e.g. Lisa, Mariusz or John give valuable, interesting critiques. They make a big effort and spend a lot of time doing this. When you remove these critiques you show no respect for all these people, not only for me. And what more, it is unnecessary,. Notes can be changed in any time . So instead of removing photo and all that belong to it, much more effective would be just to write a short comment: Please make an additional note. Is it so difficult? You need only a minute for this.

Being treated as unruly child doesn’t appeal to me. I considered to leave this site. There are many photographic sites with friendly atmosphere, great photographers and photos, where creativity is appreciated and not suppressed. We are here for joy and learning and not to have our knuckles rapped. But many friends gave me the nice words of support and asked not to do so.

„We encourage contributors who are courteous, polite and respectful”. We expect the same from the moderators group.

Regards
Barbara
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-13-2013, 06:48 AM
macondo macondo is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,129
Default Reply to Barbara

Barbara,

First, why have you posted this in 'Announcements'?

Let's take just one of the photos you have linked to above:
http://www.newphotoland.com/showphot...e-view&cat=532

Members would be misled if they thought there was no reason for the removal of that photo, as the version on New Photo Land is not accompanied by the large amount of text which you copied and pasted into the note for the TE version of the same photo.

Here is the absolutely complete note from your TE version of the photo:

The architecture of Andorra is almost entirely Romanesque, which is a style from around 1000 which integrates stone in a very simple, but strong and long-lasting style. This was the style of choice for centuries due to the availability of stone and the country's isolated state, preventing the destruction of these buildings and the introduction of new styles.
Some of the oldest buildings in the country are from the 800s, when a number of churches were built in this mountainous country. To this day there are dozens of small Romanesque churches dotting the landscape including the Sant Climent de Pal in the town of Pal. The town of Pal, in addition to the regions of Canillo and Ordino, still strongly adhere to the Romanesque style and there are even laws today that demand a certain percentage of all buildings' facades be made of stone.

Over time some aspects of certain architectural styles have been integrated into Andorra's buildings, but rarely ever dominating an entire building until recently. Many modern buildings, particularly in Andorra la Vella, are built with modern elements as much of the capital's outline today consists of glass and concrete


This text was copied in its entirety from this web page (or perhaps another; there is so much theft of text as well as photos on the Internet that one might never know the truly original source):
http://www.safaritheglobe.com/history_andorra.aspx
It was not acknowledged as being from another site, and there were no words of your own in the 'note'.

Here is the relevant rule from the Terms of Service:

ii. It is not permitted to copy and paste large sections of text from other sites. If you wish to refer to information on other sites you must provide a link to that site instead.
Short passages from other sites may be included only if the source of that information is included e.g. (Source Wikipedia) and if the rest of the note follows the Terms of Service guidelines above and is in the member's own words (and language, if necessary)


The rule also appears as the first 'Sticky' in the General Forum, here:
http://www.trekearth.com/forums/show...56&postcount=1

One more example:
This linked photo - http://www.newphotoland.com/showphot...tway-8&cat=532 - DOES actually have a note, which is EXACTLY the same as the one you uploaded on TE. Searching for that text on Google, the first result is:

Texas State Highway Beltway 8 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_State_Highway_Beltway_8
Beltway 8 (BW8), the Sam Houston Parkway, along with the Sam Houston Tollway, is an 88-mile (142 km) beltway around the city of Houston, Texas, United States, lying entirely within Harris County. Beltway 8, a state highway, runs mostly along the frontage roads of the tollway, only using the main lanes where they are free ...

... and so on.

Again, the source of this long quote was not acknowledged and there was no text of your own in the 'note'.

Perhaps 'creativity' may apply to notes as well as photos. It only takes 'a minute' or so to observe the Terms of Service.

Andrew

Last edited by macondo; 03-13-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-15-2013, 02:31 AM
Sonata11 Sonata11 is offline
TE Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 449
Unhappy My photos were removed

Hello Andrew,

First of all. All pictures attached to the TE are mine and only mine!. This is insolence suggesting that these are not my pictures, and accusing me of copying text is theft. First of all, even if I copy a piece of text is informative about a specific location - underlined that "the information is from google, wikipedia and also from the Internet," If I do give a source from where the information are, I do not agree with you Andrew, that this is theft. THIS IS HOW This is offensive me and other members of TE! because the texts are copy by so many, many participants of this page. And such information are pulled even in today's photos. It does not see this?

Depends on what one wishes to see, when and with whom. I do not think and do not agree with you Andrew, that this is a crime. Of course, each party has its own rules and I agree with this, and I/we should adapt to them. But if you are requiring from one person, and not from others , it's probably something with the regulations is not so!

In addition, from Moderators only receives information that the photo was removed and the memo: The reason is:>-Unacceptable Note. Without any explanation of what is wrong with this note.

Is each participant has to guess whether the note under the picture is to long? Whether a short? etc.

And if not a description of the photo I posted, is the reason for which it removes the photo, it also is not specifically explained - why? when I do picture macro or close up. Here, I have in my mind - the lens as using is not with condition of TE, this I really do not understand, why? What lens I should use? I can not do close up?.

Frankly , I feel very upset, because I'm not a kid, and I'm a woman and a serious, mature that I can do distinguish what is a good from what is wrong. I have request, please moderator to show respect to me and others, and treat us all members as the adult and mature people and not as preschoolers. If I do or did something wrong, I apologize. At the same time I expect an apology from accusing words between the pictures and the texts are steal. With this I disagree, because as I mentioned above the photos are mine and only mine. Thank you for your feedback.

Best regards and have a great friday,

Barbara
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-15-2013, 05:18 AM
macondo macondo is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonata11 View Post
Hello Andrew,
First of all. All pictures attached to the TE are mine and only mine!. This is insolence suggesting that these are not my pictures, and accusing me of copying text is theft.
Barbara, there is no apology due to you.

You are not accused of uploading photos which are not yours. Members can read my message and decide for themselves if you are accused of this.

You are not accused of 'theft' of text either - just copying and pasting in a manner which is not allowed by the TOS. I only used the word 'theft' to describe the way many web sites take text from each other or Wikipedia, particularly many unprofessional 'travel' sites. It's possible the one you copied from was not the first to use that text.

Quote:
In addition, from Moderators only receives information that the photo was removed and the memo: The reason is:>-Unacceptable Note. Without any explanation of what is wrong with this note.
It is suggested that you refer to the Terms of Service to find out why it is 'unacceptable'.

Regards,
Andrew

Last edited by macondo; 03-15-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-17-2013, 11:49 AM
ChrisJ ChrisJ is offline
TE Expert
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,030
Default Removed photos

Firstly I emphasise with you Barbara. I too have recently had an image deleted and have not yet had the courtesy of a reply despite contacting 2 moderators, or even an explanatory email. Very annoying and unprofessional.

But Andrew has given a good reply. TE has to cover itself from legal action for copied text, and have transparent rules. This issue has come up many times. I think it would be a good idea if moderators gave members 24 hours to rectify the notes, before deleting any images, which creates a lot of ill will and bad feelings.

I looked at all of your images and there is no reason why all of them could not be reinstated / returned to the gallery after some minor adjustments to the notes. The guidelines appear in the t.o.s. if youre unsure how to do it. I am already in the habit of citing sources from my Uni days so no great problem for me. It is a simple matter to use 40 characters in your own words, copy a paragraph from Wikipedia & cite "from Wikipedia" at the end or beginning of the text in parenthesis eg: ("bla bla bla") Source: Wikipedia.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-17-2013, 12:39 PM
fanni's Avatar
fanni fanni is offline
TE Expert
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ View Post
I think it would be a good idea if moderators gave members 24 hours to rectify the notes, before deleting any images, which creates a lot of ill will and bad feelings.
Hello Chris,
it would be an even better idea to study closely (or refresh in memory) the rules (TOS) of TrekEarth before posting a note to a photo
...and in that case there will not be any bad feelings whatsoever
__________________
Those who know do not speak, Those who speak do not know.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-17-2013, 03:16 PM
ChrisJ ChrisJ is offline
TE Expert
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,030
Default

Quote:
it would be an even better idea to study closely (or refresh in memory) the rules (TOS) of TrekEarth before posting a note to a photo
...and in that case there will not be any bad feelings whatsoever
Unfortunately that is not always true in some cases. I had an image deleted with no warning whatsoever despite having an adequate note AND conforming with the t.o.s.

It was taken with a 55 mm lens which is standard size and in no way a macro lens shot or close up. Nor was it abstract. Decisions made by moderators are sometimes arbitrary and capricious. Still waiting on the courtesy of an explanation. Might have to make a formal complaint if it's not rectified in 24 hours.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-17-2013, 05:40 PM
Porteplume's Avatar
Porteplume Porteplume is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Tholen - Holland
Posts: 5,820
Send a message via Skype™ to Porteplume
Default

I got your email, Chris, I'm sorry I didn't reply right away but you couldn't know that I'm on holidays now, somewhere between Scotland and England the last couple of days, where connection is not always that easy...
* Yes! Even moderators go on holidays from time to time...

I think that everybody could/should follow fanni's advice, it sounds very wise.

Friendly greetings,

Viviane

PS: BTW, I was the one who inactivated your photo. A lovely flower shot indeed but not following the TOS, too close shot of rather ordinary flowers. The 5 other mods will investigate that case anyway if you sent a Review Request, (check all your mails for the TE notice about that inactivation), so be patient...
__________________
Amicalement...

Last edited by Porteplume; 05-17-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-17-2013, 06:34 PM
ChrisJ ChrisJ is offline
TE Expert
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,030
Default Disagree

Thanks for replying at least, Viviane

Quote:
PS: BTW, I was the one who inactivated your photo. A lovely flower shot indeed but not following the TOS, too close shot of rather ordinary flowers. The 5 other mods will investigate that case anyway if you sent a Review Request, (check all your mails for the TE notice about that inactivation), so be patient...
Firstly, I have NOT received any email advice about inactivation, nor is it in my spam filter. As explained in a pm to both Keith and yourself, when I tried to amend my location in my intro from China to Turkey, it refused to accept my correct email address. So I had to add 'au' to the end to input the new data. For some strange reason it accepted the incorrect address but not the correct email address I have been using for the past 9-10 years.

Secondly, I strongly disagree about 'too close'. As stated previously, it was shot with a 55 mm lens, (just above a standard 50 mm lens) and this can easily be verified by checking the 'view' information. If it had of been a macro photo of a single flower, shot with a 200 mm macro lens, then yes, your decision would be justified. As I explained in the note (which I can no longer see, btw), it was shot on a traffic island in the middle of the busy street) & I did NOT want to include ugly, extraneous bg details of passing traffic.

The terms of service do NOT state 'no flower shots whatsover'. They also state that provided an adequate note is provided (which it was) the photo will be permitted. If you lived in Erzurum, you would know that the arrival of the tulips in mid May is by no means 'ordinary'. For 9 months of the year this town is covered in snow & ice. You might also be interested to know that tulips are native to Turkey and central Asia, and not Holland, yet dozens of tulip shots are permitted from Holland and even some much closer than mine, after the change in the t.o.s.

Is it possible to send a review request without receiving an inactivation email? Or should I just forward a complaint to the ombudsman?
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


explore TREKEARTH