Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Travel

Notices

Old 12-12-2012, 02:30 PM
TE Newbie

Default From Europe to China - the ancient silk roads. May 2013 -> sept 2013

Hello dear future travel buddies!

I am planning a trip to go from Europe to China via the old Silk roads. I am looking for fellow travellers! Making stunning pictures will be the main aim of the trip. I have an interesting route in mind, avoiding conflict countries such as Pakistan, Afghanistan and southern parts of Tajikistan. I want to go through the Balkans, Turkey, Caucusus countries Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan, central asia (not so sure about that part yet, at least Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan) and then finally China (including Tibet). Possible also North Korea, but that would have to be arranged with a group travel beforehand.

I am leaving in the beginning of May 2013. Using public transport and/ or hitchhiking. Total length of travel time about 6 months. Of course, if you happen to be in the region around a certain time and want to team up, that’s fine as well!

A rough travel schedule:

Balkan countries: end of March
Turkey: Beginning of April
Caucasus countries: End of april and beginning of May
Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan: End of May
Kyrgyzstan: Beginning of June.
China: End of June, July and August. Entering the country from the east, heading to Tibet from Chengdu and then proceeding to Beijing. Afterwards following the coastline down south.

Who wishes to join me on this route or parts of it? So far it's just me travelling, a travel buddy would be much appreciated! It will be lots of fun with the most amazing sights you can imagine! Expect a difficult route with visas and accommodation, but more rewarding nonetheless when we reach the end.

I'm an easy going guy. I want to see all the sights, including going off the beaten track. I love nature so I would fancy 1 or 2 organised trekking trips in the nature. Photography is my passion. When possible I want to hit the nightlife also, so in all we can have a lot of fun if you’re thinking of joining!

Looking forward to your reply!

By the way, any comments or suggestions on the trip I have planned are more than welcome!

regards,

René
Old 01-02-2013, 12:43 AM
TE Newbie

Hi René!

I'm also planning to travel part of the ancient silk road, but my route slightly differs and my final destination would be Kathmandu in Nepal. I didn't want to pass through Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan, but instead leave from Turkey to Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India and finally Nepal. Also, I wanted to travel by car (a 30 year old Mercedes of my grandfather).
So, maybe we could at least travel parts of Balkan and/or Turkey together. But right now I cannot tell you exactly when I'm going to leave, because this depends on how my PhD evolves. (But I was planning to leave March/April from Germany.)

Good to see, that other people have similar ideas!

Cheers,
Christian

Last edited by chrischr; 01-02-2013 at 12:45 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 08-23-2013, 07:57 AM
TE Newbie

Default Silk Road

Dear Rene,

I hope you enjoyed or still enjoying your trip following the Silk Road. Unfortunately I read your invitation to join you today, so definitely too late .
I was thinking about doing the same track but starting from Georgia, since I've been living for some time in Georgia. We could have met in Georgia at least. By the way, have you seen an interesting Museum of Silk Road in Gremi(Kakheti region)? I was shortly in Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan in 2010 but it was business trips, so I did not see much and additionally in Kyrgyzstan it was the time of revolution (April 2010) and we were evacuated . I'm really curious about your impressions and of course challenges from the road. Thanks for sharing!
best regards
emilia

Last edited by taypejka; 08-23-2013 at 07:59 AM. Reason: change of the town's name

Tags
asia, china, silkroad, travelbuddy