Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great tyro 2012-11-02 4:58

Hello Rosemary,

Despite what you say about poor image quality, I have to disagree on that point: the quality of this picture, although taken nearly ten years ago on a small "budget" camera surpasses that of many pictures here - including many of my own! And many professional photographers would opine that image quality is not the most important feature of a photograph anyway - the composition, the lighting, the emotions which it conjures up - are all more important than sheer technical quality.

This is a very fine photograph which certainly has the most wonderful lighting - I love the beams of light streaming through the windows on the left and illuminating the dust thrown up by this man's efforts to sweep the rough floor. The textures in the stonework brought out by the oblique lighting are lovely too as is the stance of the man, cigarette in mouth, going about his task. The exposure is spot-on and the details and contrasts are excellent. The composition too is perfect.

So, Rosemary, make no apology for the technical quality of this picture - it is a wonderful photograph and I love it! And, of course,it shows that you had a very good "eye" in those days too, even though you were just beginning to catch "the bug"!

On the other matter you mention in your notes, that is something I have often thought about too. The ability to carry a small or even pocket-sized camera around and still capture events and scenes rather than having to lug around a heavy backpack would be very welcome. As the subject is a bit involved, I shall send you an email or a forum message rather than try to write a long drawn out epistle here!

A Lovely Photograph!

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:44 PM
TE Expert

Default To tyro: Quality

Hello John - Thanks for your fulsome critique on this one. I do appreciate your time and interest. P'raps I misled you when I spoke of quality. The resolution is not good enough for a decent sized print. It looks fine at this small size but go any bigger and its messy.

I would be interested in your thoughts wrt a compact camera. I've started doing a little research and rather hope Father Christmas might be feeling generous this year!

Have a super weekend. Rosemary
Old 11-02-2012, 04:01 PM
TE Expert

Default Compact cameras........

Helo again Rosemary,

I sent you an email after I'd written my critique - did you get it?

On the point of quality, megapixels aren't the whole answer. When the camera makers try to push too many pixels into a small sensor, then you end up with poor high ISO capabilities and a lot of noise. I think I mentioned that when I spoke in my email about the Canon G10 which is quite noisy with its 14 megapixels. Canon decided, when they brought out the G11, to reduce the pixel count to 10 megapixels with a consequent improvement in noise.

Whatever you decide, I'm afraid that it will necessarily be a bit of a compromise. No compact camera will ever give you the image quality which you can achieve with your D700, nor the degree of control, nor the high ISO capabilities, nor the shallow depth of field. If a compact camera could do all these things, then why would we waste our money on expensive DSLRs and struggle to lug them around the countryside? Given good conditions and good lighting, they can produce excellent results but when conditions are less than ideal, the DSLR will always win hands down.

Have a look at the email I sent you and, more importantly, have a good study of the cameras on www.dpreview.com - it's an excellent website with a tremendous amount of very useful information. As I said in my email, you can also there search for cameras by various features such as RAW shooting, manual exposure modes and so on. Well worth a look!

Kind Regards,

John.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:52 PM
TE Expert

Default E-mail

Hi John - Thanks, I have just seen your mail in my inbox. Very useful and I shall have a look at the d p review site. I do look in there from time to time but I thought that some TE'ers would be able to point me in the right direction as there are a few people who use compact.

My son says the Sony NEX 7 (?) is really good but it's very expensive and maybe overkill for what I need it for. I don't think I shall ever be a great 'street' photographer or make it my primary focus but I do want something that gives a fairly good quality.

I shall continue with my research and let you know what I go for, if anything. Another reason I would like something compact is that here I cannot go out and about very easily with a big camera (not on my own). I am likely to get mugged and the thing stolen. It happened once in Swakopmund when I was doing some shots on the beach. If it hadn't been for a very observant and kind local my camera would haver been history!

Any way .... that's another story.

Take care and thanks for all your input Rosemary
Old 11-02-2012, 05:22 PM
TE Expert

Default Safety....

Yes, Rosemary, I see your point.

Funnily enough, Lisa (delpeoples) occasionally has posted pictures frrom down-town Naples which she has taken with a small inexpensive compact camera and apologises for the relatively poor image quality. When I have spoken to her about it she has remarked that some parts of Naples are pretty seedy and she would certainly not feel at all comfortable walking around with a big expensive DSLR round her neck and prefers to use the small camera there.

One compact that did attract me was the Panasonic LX5 (I think there's now a newer version, the LX7). It was given a very good review by DP Review, has manual modes and shoots in RAW and is pretty small (smaller than the Canon G10) but doesn't have a viewfinder (though you can get one as an accessory to fit it).

Best of luck with your search! Let me know how you get on.

Kind Regards,

John.