Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Forum Feedback and Support

Notices

Old 03-24-2012, 11:36 AM
TE Expert

Default Once again

Another member of TE goes.

There remain only on TE, the perfect members...

That is to say not much.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbrthnn View Post

There remain only on TE, the perfect members...

That is to say not much.
One might be inclined to agree. After all you are still here
Old 03-25-2012, 12:33 AM

While I loathe those awful buttons, and never use them or belong to any of those so called 'social' and 'sharing' sites, I think members reading this thread might be unnecessarily alarmed. Pinterest seem to have responded to a wave of criticism of their TOS and have changed them, coming into force on April 6.

After April 6, Pinterest will no longer assert their right to "sell" or "sublicense" any user content, which means the photos and other graphic images "pinned" by its members.

This news has been posted in the last couple of days on many sites and through emails to Pinterest members. See, for example:

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/bl...f-service.html

http://venturebeat.com/2012/03/23/pi...ms-of-service/

http://www.nikkipilkington.com/pinte...nd-conditions/

Or just type into Google 'Pinterest changes terms'

And this one published a few weeks ago, before the changes were announced:

http://farbspiel-photo.com/blog/will...ll-your-images

Of course, there is nothing to stop people essentially 'giving away' your photos via sites like Pinterest; but there is also nothing to stop them downloading or capturing off the TE screen and doing what they like with your photos, except their moral sense and possibly their fear of being caught. Sad to say, many people in this internet-addicted world have little or no idea of the importance of moral questions and no fear of being caught.

It may be the case that many TE members would actually welcome the 'publicity' of having their photos 'pinned' by visitors to this site.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Administrator

It goes to show, overreacting to the TOS of a new and evolving social media site doesn't pay. There are plenty of issues to work out still, but in the end no company will be allowed to get away with stealing the copyrights of media owners. Things tend to work out in favor of common sense.

Paul
Old 05-14-2012, 12:24 AM
TE Junior Member

Now i see my images pinned from here even though they were removed...

No attribution no recognition just plain and simple stealing helped by the pin button.....

21 times its been re pinned now, irrespective of whether pintrest is selling on the images they are guilty of allowing this type of activity to go on.

I get enough publicity for my work and the image in question is one of my best selling images.
If someone wants to download a screen cap etc and print it off for a small picture i dont have a problem.

What i do have a problem with is the orphaning of my work which leaves it open to even more miss use and does not direct people back to myself.

People should be alarmed at whats going on

I dont find it flattering that people want to share my work. I find it perfectly normal. When you produce good stuff people want to talk about it.

heck i want to share my stuff as well but i am not a charity

Pintrest does not have the rights of the photographer at heart it never has had. It was started up and ran on its previous TOS rill it was forced to change them.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:14 AM
TE Expert

just thought to browse that Pinterest to see if there are any of my photos... and found this:

http://pinterest.com/pin/86975836523654407/

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Eur...oto1352553.htm

I haven't found mine yet, though.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:27 AM
TE Expert

also these (pinned/posted by the same person?):

http://pinterest.com/pin/260927372131023627/

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Eur...oto1355626.htm
Old 05-14-2012, 09:27 AM
TE Expert

Default Re-pinning

I have found my shots pinned onto Pinterest, with links back to TE, and then re-pinned to travel websites, illustrations for articles about Africa etc. etc. I have tried to contact the re-pinners about copyright infringement but receive no replies. At this stage I do not sell my work. Some travel companies have written to me asking to use my work but no mention of payment is ever made. I politely decline their use. After all, why should I give free pics to a company that is running a business? I may (who knows?) decide to hold an exhibition, publish an calendar or who knows what in the future. Personally I feel that TE posters should be given the option of opting in or out of these button links. Can this be done? I have no idea. The same could be done for the 'save as' feature. It would be problematic for WS's but again one could opt in or out.
Have a good week! Rosemary
Please don't just tell me that I have the option of not posting on TE. I am fully aware of that but the input from other's is important to me and I have gained insight from being a member and I don't intend to leave just yet
Old 05-15-2012, 04:13 PM
TE Junior Member

Thumbs down

I didnt have any intention of leaving either but a change like this should have been notified to the membership and as Rosemary says given the option to opt in or out of this.

Pintrest is making it too easy for people to move on work again and again and in the case of here with no attribution given.

A tag to say fr.terkearth is not attribution to the atrist who created it merely an advert for trek earth.

Flickr got assurances of attribution from pintrest before landing this one on the membership. They also give you the option to share or not to share.

Trek earth like all other sites is nothing without members posting and sharing their expertise with each other.

I must point out again that when someone pins an image to a pintrest board they are telling pintrest that they have the right to do so.

On trek earth we the users were not given the right to not allow them to do so therefore our rights were violated

There are assumptions that you are the owner of the content you post on pintrest

1. Sharing Your Content

Your content. Pinterest allows you to pin and post content on the Service, including photos, comments, and other materials. Anything that you pin, post, display, or otherwise make available on our Service, including all Intellectual Property Rights (defined below) in such content, is referred to as “User Content.” You retain all of your rights in all of the User Content you post to our Service.
How Pinterest and other users can use your content. Subject to any applicable account settings you select, you grant us a non-exclusive, royalty-free, transferable, sublicensable, worldwide license to use, display, reproduce, re-pin, modify (e.g., re-format), re-arrange, and distribute your User Content on Pinterest for the purposes of operating and providing the Service(s) to you and to our other Users. Nothing in these Terms shall restrict Pinterest’s rights under separate licenses to User Content. Please remember that the Pinterest Service is a public platform, and that other Users may search for, see, use, and/or re-pin any User Content that you make publicly available through the Service.

I must add not much different to your TOS but there are subtle differences

Last edited by Weetrees; 05-15-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:45 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Relevent?

http://articles.businessinsider.com/...t-entire-image