Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great batalay 2012-02-10 11:43

Hello Gert,

First the Kodachrome 25, then the Kodachrome 64 were my choice of analogue films for color fidelity, durability and sharpness. You've done an excellent job of converting the slide to digital form. A year before you shot this image, I had sailed out of Mumbai, first for Dubai, then onto Yemen, before entering the Red Sea, and eventually the Mediterranean. Things started heating up later in 1997 with the attack on the US Navy ship "The Cole," then the massacre of tourists at Queen Hapshetsut's Tomb in the Valley of the Kings. Did you feel the anti-European sentiment while you were in Yemen?

Have a good weekend,

Bulent

Old 02-10-2012, 06:57 PM
TE Expert

Default To batalay: yemen

Hello Bülent and thanks for your comments.
I didn't feel any resentment whatsoever in Yemen. In fact I met the most overwhelming kindness and helpfulness practically everywhere and generally felt very safe. There were at the time a number of kidnappings of Westerners, although never actually meant to harm them, just to force the government to provide the water or electricity promised during the last elections campaign. I just avoided the worst area and only travelled with local transports, avoiding other tourists.
Wish you a fine weekend too,
Gert