Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 02-06-2012, 09:20 AM
TE Expert

Angry Copyright Infringement

I received an email yesterday via TE, the writer stated that he was starting a FB project to promote deserts of the world and he would like to use some of my Namibia shots. Checking the site today, I was very cross to see that he has already used my work without permission. I have written an infringement of copyright report to FB. I noticed he had also used some of Andre's and Wanda's work. I suggest if you have posted any desert images and you do not wish them to be used without your permission you should check out the site

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Desert...97262490372397

Thanks Rosemary
Old 02-06-2012, 11:14 AM
TE Expert

Smile Desert Rose Queen - Copy right

Please to say that FB seem to have responded to the copyright issue really fast. The Namibia gallery has been removed from the site. How can we stop people from lifting shots from TE?

Rosemary
Old 02-06-2012, 11:21 AM
TE Junior Member

Default desert rose queen

Hi Rosemary,

I also got the same message yesterday, but on account of not belonging to Facebook I was not able to check.
Thank you for your promt actions and getting them removed.
Kind regards
Wanda
Old 02-06-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapRJW View Post
Please to say that FB seem to have responded to the copyright issue really fast. The Namibia gallery has been removed from the site. How can we stop people from lifting shots from TE?

Rosemary
I'm no expert on the subject but from reading similar topics on other photo related sites it seems it is very difficult to prevent theft of images if a person is determined to do it. Copyright info on the image is one small step although that can easily be cropped or cloned out.

Last edited by Keitht; 02-06-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:34 PM
TE Expert

Smile Does anyone know of a programme that blocks copying?

I have heard that there are programmes that stop people from copying pictures off the net, I think this can be embedded before we upload. Would be glad of any suggestions.

No problem Wanda ....

Cheers

Rosemary
Old 02-06-2012, 05:09 PM
TE Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapRJW View Post
I have heard that there are programmes that stop people from copying pictures off the net, I think this can be embedded before we upload. Would be glad of any suggestions.
Hi Rosemary,
some time ago when I decided to create my own website dedicated to Stockholm and post photos of Stockholm on it, I, too, was concerned about the copyright issue.
I searched the Net but did not find any programs which would guarantee 100% protection to photos.

I remember finding a program (I think it's shareware) which protects images: it embeds something in photos (apart from optional embedding your signature) which makes them look sort of "grainy" (the degree of graininess depends on your choice of different options).

Nobody will steal such a photo (though who knows??) but this will not be a good photo anymore

So, I am not worried about this issue anymore.
Why?

because:

1. once you've posted a photo on the Net - especially on an open photo-site, it's not yours anymore! anyone can see it, anyone can do anything with the photo (I mean photo-theft) - perhaps even faster than you could possibly expect...

2. there's such a thing as the "PrintScreen" key on the keyboard: one "magic" pressing on this key - and the photo is yours!

of course if the photo-thief wants to publish the stolen photo in any serious magazine or online journal, they will have to prove it's theirs, to provide the original file etc, but this is quite a different story altogether.

3. browser cache.

4. for FireFox users: "Page Saver" addon.

5. and so on and so forth...

Conclusion: if you do not want your photo to be potentially stolen, - don't post it at all and show it only to your friends on your own computer!
Old 02-10-2012, 04:32 AM
TE Expert

Four additions to this thread swallowed up in cyber space. Oh dear......
Old 02-10-2012, 05:20 AM
TE Expert

Smile Additions Swallowed Up

Hi Rosemary & Everyone

Just a quick comment on the fact that additions to this thread have been swallowed up in cyber space. Take a loook at the critiques you wrote/received yesterday and they've all disappeared. All 20 critiques I wrote yesterday went into the ether.

Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Cheers
Lisa
Old 02-10-2012, 05:24 AM
TE Expert

Question

Lisa - I have, as I type, been trawling thru' the posts trying to see which ones I reviewed have been lost. Both pics and crits have gone down the cyber-drain. Do they not have a continual back-up on the site? Mad.....
Old 02-10-2012, 11:52 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Disappearing act

Yes Lisa, my posts evaporated into thin air as well. Check out this link

http://www.trekearth.com/forums/show...=876275&page=2