Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great JRushen 2012-01-02 12:51

I like this picture of everyday life. Has great static movement to it. heads down and off we go!

Old 01-02-2012, 09:06 PM
TE Expert

Default To RhodieIke: Whoopee! A Tripod!

Hi Iain,

Thank you for your kind remarks about this one. Actually, I didn't think it was that great. I put the picture of the bonfire in Biggar on here the night before and added a couple of pictures of the procession as workshops to it and I think, on balance, they were probably better than this one.

But, Oooh, it sounds like Santa has made a very, very good choice of tripod for you. I wonder if you sent him a nice letter up the chimney asking him what to get you? I bet it required a few mince pies and a large glass of sherry too. And a carrot for Rudolph!

Yes, a tripod really is the answer. Then you can take as long as you want over an exposure. No more wondering if you can hold the camera steady for 1/30 or 1/15 or 1/8 second - you can have exposures of 15 or 30 seconds, who cares? Or longer, if you want.

The only bugbear is having to carry the blighter around. As I said to Ann, I've got the nice Manfrotto carrying bag with a shoulder strap - it's great, but if I have my camera rucksack on my back, the tripod keeps slipping off my shoulder and it's a real pain. Not quite sure of the answer. But, if you look at the pictures which Craig (macjake) takes, he almost always uses a tripod and lugs it about big cities in Canada and USA, apparently without complaint. Lisa (delpeoples) uses one a lot too and both their pictures are brilliant.

I guess taking decent pictures is like anything else in this life - it doesn't come easily and those who are prepared to go the extra length and put in a bit more effort will be rewarded with the best results.

Wishing you many happy hours with your new toy!

Kind Regards,

John.