Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 05-17-2011, 06:38 PM
TE Newbie

Default Mid Range Zoom?

Hello, I've read a few lens reviews that claim professional photographers dont use mid-range zooms. At the same time I have been interested in getting the Sigma 24-70 F2.8 to replace my kit lens. I thought this would be a helpful addition to my gear as I will be mainly shooting travel/street photography. As of right now I have a 50mm 1.4 prime, 12-24 wide angle, and telephoto. I love my 50mm but am concerned that I may want more depth of field and flexibility. What is your opinion about adding a good midrange zoom? What do you do? Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 05-23-2011, 05:00 PM
TE Newbie

Hi
I use a Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX on a Nikon D90 (about 24-127mm, 35mm equivalent) and really like it. I think it provides a "realistic" view at both ends and provides just enough range for good composition in most situations. The only other lens I use is a small light prime 35mm (47mm equiv) that I rarely use for when I want to travel or hike light as the 16-85 is a bit heavy. I find the little bit of extra wide angle is more useful than extra telephoto.
I look forward to seeing some of your photos posted.
My $.02 ....... Dave