Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photography

Notices

Old 04-02-2011, 01:30 PM
TE Newbie

Default Prices For a Wedding, please help!! :)

Hello Trekearth members.

I have recently been asked to photograph a high school friend's wedding. They want the all the pictures on a memory card or CD for future use, which is fine with me, i currently have a set price of $800.00 as i have no experience with weddings, as i gain experience though i will raise the amount.

But, for the actual wedding, i am unsure on what to charge.
I was thinking on $500.00 say for the whole day, not including the reception afterwards.

Please help!

Kyrstina Stronach
Old 04-02-2011, 01:50 PM

To be perfectly honest Krystina, I wouldn't touch any paid wedding work without first gaining experience as 'second camera' to an experienced wedding photographer. I absolutely wouldn't accept a commission from a friend for what will be the most important photographic session of their life. I've heard far too many stories of life long friendships being destroyed through disputes over the cost / quality / customer demands of such situations to ever want to risk it myself.
One possible alternative, if you can't convince them to use another 'tog, would be to offer the work as a wedding gift, but firstly making certain that they fully understand that you have never done this kind of work before and therefore can't guarantee the quality of the results.
Technical understanding of cameras and photographic techniques is only part of the battle for a good wedding shoot.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:00 PM
TE Newbie

Keith, thank you for your advice, it is greatly appreciated!
I actually just informed them to consider someone else for the experience reason. I would truly hate to mess up such an occasion in ones life.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:54 PM

I've been asked a number of times by friends and family to take wedding photographs and have always declined. My interest and experience is in landscape photography and landscapes tend to stay in one place and not want to see every shot as you take it.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:42 PM
TE Newbie

Heh, this is true!
Eventually though i do hope to specialize in weddings!