Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 03-31-2011, 06:21 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Porteplume

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajenn View Post
Or you could - and should - just disregard the anger! Because that kind of anger is always unjustified.
I totally agree with Kaj here because, indeed, I absolutely don't understand the anger (any anger) and the way (a few) people are acting. If you knew the words they use sometimes!!!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:52 PM

On the 'Upload' page there is a very clear link to the Photo Guidelines & Terms of Service. If people chose not to read either / both of those sections of the site they are certainly at greater risk of having images removed.
I would like things to be taken one step further with a check box to be selected before any image can be uploaded. The check box would say "I have read and agreed to the TOS of the site". Then there would be absolutely no valid excuse for posting unacceptable images.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:36 AM
TE Expert

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitht View Post
The check box would say "I have read and agreed to the TOS of the site".
Bureaucracy solves everything! Seriously, such check boxes are for lawyers.
Besides, I didn't find mention about 'pose' on photo guidelines page either.
Kari
Old 04-01-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktanska View Post
Bureaucracy solves everything! Seriously, such check boxes are for lawyers.
I'm no great fan of bureaucracy, but when probably 80% of images are removed because people haven't bothered to read the rules it's time to do something about it. If we had a pound / dollar /euro for every close up of a flower with poor note that we had to remove the mods would all be rich.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:32 AM
TE Expert

" If we had a pound / dollar /euro for every close up of a flower with poor note that we had to remove the mods would all be rich".

In March 2011 there were posted 6990 photos, from them 501 were removed for all reasons (for instance it happens that I remove my photos). It is 7.2% off all shots. So, if we divide it by at least 3 (mods), would it be enough to be rich?
What is 80%?

Best
emka
Old 04-20-2011, 04:49 PM

I received notification of about 120 removed by mods for one reason or another in March and have no idea why the other 380 (approx) were removed, but they weren't removed by the mods.
An average of 4 images a day out of over 200 posted actually isn't too bad, although none at all would be even better
34 out of the most recent 48 removed have been close up images of flowers, so my estimate of 80% wasn't too far out. Regrettably it would seem that we wouldn't have made enough money to retire on just yet.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:30 PM
TE Expert

Hi, thank you for an answer. I have just counted the photos left and all posted. So it seems that more often the member themselves remove the photos when they are not satisfied. Probably my English is not good and I couldn't understand what was 80%, now it is OK. The numbers look consistent.
I do not think there is a problem of the people not knowing the rules and not reading TOS but the interpretation: "unless there's a suitable note they [e.g. close up of flowers] will be deactivated" . So it depends on the note more than on a photo..

Rgds
Old 04-20-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emka View Post
I do not think there is a problem of the people not knowing the rules and not reading TOS but the interpretation: "unless there's a suitable note they [e.g. close up of flowers] will be deactivated" . So it depends on the note more than on a photo..
There certainly is a problem with people not knowing the rules, but I accept that it is only part of the problem. Many times when we explain to people why their photo has been removed they respond that they didn't know the rules.

The link between the photo and the notes is a very important one, particularly for the type of image you mention. If there is only a very basic note, for example "This is a pretty flower I saw when out for a walk in the park" then it will not save the photo from being removed. On the other hand a note providing detail about the plant and its environment may well be enough for the photo to be acceptable. One important detail about the note is that cutting and pasting information from other sites is also not acceptable and may also be reason enough to remove a photo. Links to other source information is acceptable and valuable, but cannot be the only content for the note.

Tags
conditions, photos, posed, rules, terms