Notices

Old 06-29-2015, 11:43 PM
TE Expert

Unhappy Do you realise ?

Only 40 pictures were published in TE in the last 24 hours
A big difference with the past many people has gone
TE staff should worry about this

سعيد

Last edited by Porteplume; 07-13-2015 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Member who opened this thread may not delete it after replies have been made
Old 06-30-2015, 11:29 AM
TE Expert

When good people leave, the way to survive is to encourage any good/promising new member to stay on.
There's only one way to do that: by giving them good, honest critiques, and then hope they become active members too.

Both passive posting (without giving critiques) and mutual backslapping are dead ends.

Benny
Old 06-30-2015, 08:00 PM

The site really has gone from one extreme to the other over the past few years. From a peak of over 700 images a day to the low of 40 is certainly not good news.
From a purely personal viewpoint (not as a Mod), 700 was far too many as images were disappearing from the home page in a matter of minutes and many were not receiving any comment or critique at all. I feel this was one cause of the downward spiral. If somebody new posts and image and gets no reaction they may post a couple more, but if the result for those is the same they will stop participating. There is a natural flow of people to and from the site, but if the established members move and aren't replaced by new members who continue the critiques, the slide downhill accelerates.
Add to that the growth of the social media site and this type of site is going to struggle even more.
If anybody has any suggestions for ways to address the problems I know the Mods will be interested to hear them. Please don't suggest changes which will cost money as those are unlikely to be progressed by the site owners.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:14 AM
TE Expert

Thumbs down Downward spiral

I am not convinced that everyone who joins need to get comments for the success of a social media site. From network theory perspective, it is the activity of the hubs and the central nodes (the highest number of shortest paths through any given node pairs that pass through a node) that matter for the general network growth, functionality and stability. TE policies several years ago discouraged the hub nodes (the most active people and their most active friends) in favor of averaged distributive nodes (any and all newcomers). The obvious instability followed. I don't really see a way out, mathematically speaking, until one changes the theme and somehow attracts a collection of people with common interests.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:58 AM

Any chance that somebody could translate the previous post into something the average member (me) can understand?
Old 07-03-2015, 01:30 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Porteplume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitht View Post
Any chance that somebody could translate the previous post into something the average member (me) can understand?
Also translation in French please! Ordinary English is difficult enough for me...

Viviane
Old 07-03-2015, 06:13 PM
TE Expert

Default Impossible

Impossible to understand the speech of this member

سعيد
Old 07-04-2015, 06:44 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Porteplume

I don't know if Ray can give us a French translation but I gave it a try...

Je ne suis pas convaincu que les nouveaux membres de TE ont besoin de recevoir des commentaires, ce n'est pas ce qui fait la réussite d'un site de médias sociaux. Du point de vue de la théorie des réseaux, c'est l'interaction "des moyeux et des nœuds" - ou l'engrenage et ses petites roues - (un grand nombre de trajets courts reliant les petites pièces diverses d'une structure autour d'axes majeurs) qui compte pour la croissance, la fonctionnalité et la stabilité d'un tel réseau.

Le durcissement des règles de TE il y a plusieurs années a découragé "les nœuds et moyeux" (les membres les plus actifs et leurs amis les plus actifs) en faveur de "noeuds de distribution moyenne" (et tous les nouveaux arrivants).

L'instabilité évidente a suivi... Je ne vois pas vraiment un moyen de sortir de cette "spirale vers le bas", mathématiquement parlant, à moins de changements qui pourraient attirer à nouveau des personnes ayant des intérêts communs.

Hi Ray,

I understand your point of view but I think looking down on "average contributors" or suggesting they are the cause of the problem is in contradiction with the term "social" as used in "social media".
Don't you think our "prominent" members could have tried to socialize more with "the little pieces" of the machine?

Regards,

Viviane

Last edited by Porteplume; 07-04-2015 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Adding information
Old 07-04-2015, 03:00 PM
TE Expert

I cite here the beginning of the thread "Slow down" I posted in November 2012:
We had lately tenth anniversary of TE. In such an occasion we like to think how it was earlier. I have an impression that lately TE slowed down considerably. So I made a small research . I looked at one month in every year, I just took October. How many photos were posted in consecutive years (in 2002 it was November):
2002 280
2003 4088
2004 10071
2005 17204
2006 23726
2007 21456
2008 17004
2009 18294
2010 8033
2011 5775
In 2012 it will be near 5000.

The number 23726 seemed to me incredible, so I checked just one day,
15 10 2006 - there were 743 photos posted.

What do you think? What are the reasons TE seems not so attractive as it was?

I predicted there that it would be 5000 photos posted in October 2012 - I was too optimistic.
October 2012 - 4428 photos
October 2013 3456
October 2014 2844
May 2015 1890

There was a big discussion in this thread (33 replies) and everybody had his own theory but the result is indisputable: this site is slowly dying. The owners are not interested in any changes that could make it more attractive, there are quite often technical problems that are annoying, for the mods the strict rules are still priority and more and more active members without spectacular gestures just not appear here, prefer to move to other sites, like FB.

emka
Old 07-08-2015, 06:35 PM
TE Expert

Default Right

You ae right Malgo I have the same deductions
Many good members has gone
TOS rules are too inflexible in comparison to the other sites
Following the departure of old photographers, a chain reaction was triggered
I'm sorry

سعيد