Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Tips-Techniques

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 05:32 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Olympus sp600uz and Nikon Coolpix L110

Hi,
Can anyone tell me which one is better among Olympus sp600uz and Nikon Coolpix L110 ?

Regards,
Sunandan
Old 12-16-2010, 05:21 PM
TE Newbie

Wow, these 2 cameras are close if you look at the specs. I have not owned either, but have a couple of comments.
1. The Nikon does not have a viewfinder. Even though the Oly has an "Electronic Viewfinder" it would be better than nothing in lots of situations.
2. I wouldn't buy the Nikon because of the name. Olympus actually has a much better reliability rating than Nikon. I have had both brands and feel that the Olys are a bit "tougher".
3. I would suggest you really take a close look and compare the image quality and color processing from the two. Unless you shoot "Raw" you are relying on the camera to come up with the color representation that YOU like. I think either of these cameras are capable of producing very good images (in good light) with brilliant color, but it is subjective. Have a look at lots of photos taken by fellow photographers by doing a search by camera type in web-sites such as TrekEarth and Flickr. If you haven't already, check out the technical reviews to see how they perform in low light.
4. What does it take to put filters on these? How much is that going to cost for adapters, etc?
5. For the money, I might consider a good used DSLR (Oly 510 or Nikon D80.)
6. I don't like AA batteries. In my opinion, the Lithium Ion rechargeables perform better and are more reliable than those darn MiH AA cells.
I had a look at your TrekEarth photos and I think you are doing some amazing work with that Oly that you have.
I hope this helps ............ Dave

Last edited by daveRen; 12-16-2010 at 05:33 PM.