Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Tips-Techniques

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 03:44 PM
TE Newbie

Talking Any camera recommendations?

My main area of focus is film-making, but I love photography and plan to delve more into taking more still photographs.
I now have a camera (GE 14.1 megapixel DC 5v, or something...) that, though reliable with some great features, I feel isn't doing justic to what I am capturing. The quality is just not up to par. I'd like to get a better camera, but video equipment is so costly nowadays alone... and just starting out in the videography business I ought invest more into that medium.
Does anyone have any recommendations regarding a brand of camera that would suite a budding photographer like myself, who strives for quality but must still keep a form hold of the purse strings at this point in time?

Last edited by EmEeEliiessessa; 12-15-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:30 PM

I would say don't be a slave to brand. Any of the major names make superb cameras to suit most pockets, although Nikon & Canon are generally accepted as being top of the pile.
Far more important than the make is how the camera handles, and that is a very personal evaluation. What one person thinks is a great camera really doesn't suit another. For example I use a Canon EOS 5D which my wife finds far too big and heavy, whereas she uses a Canon EOS 450D which is much too small for me to use comfortably. Both great cameras in their own way, but not suiting everybody.
I would also suggest making a list of the most important features for you - the 'must have', the 'nice to have' and the 'don't really care' rows will help cut down the hard work of making a final decision