Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Tips-Techniques

Notices

Old 11-25-2010, 08:43 AM
TE Expert

Location: I live in Pessac, city surburb of Bordeaux - France
Question Adjustable neutral density filter

Has someone heard or used this kind of filter (Adjustable neutral density filter)? is it worth?
http://www.lightcraftworkshop.co.uk/products.html

thank you chaps
Old 12-06-2010, 12:13 PM
TE Newbie

Default Not this one but...

I use the Singh Ray equivalent, the Vari ND.
The light reduction goes from 2ND to 8ND. It is quite handy to use but has some drawbacks:
  • It is quite thick and cannot be used under 24mm (vignetting)
  • On my copy, the light fading does not look similar on all the image. The darker it is, the more it is visible. It is generally Ok for cascades but not to wipe out the trafic from Paris streets (what I wanted to do with it)
  • It is really pricey even with the current Euro/Dollar rate.

Apparently, there is a third product of this kind by Genus.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:24 PM
TE Junior Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLODO View Post
Has someone heard or used this kind of filter (Adjustable neutral density filter)? is it worth?
http://www.lightcraftworkshop.co.uk/products.html

thank you chaps
Hi buddy i have heard of it but not used though it does proport to b ethe best one on the market.
Though i think the same issue of very wide angle affects it the newer version they just released is not so affected.

I am likey to buy this one over the others based on price and general feedback on the net

Cheers

John
Old 12-29-2010, 02:54 PM
TE Newbie

Hi,

Got myself one for X'mas in 67mm.
Did some test shots but haven't been able to use it like I'd like thanks to the good weather we've been having.

First impressions:
Vignetting is seemingly kept to a minimum because of the wider second ring though I want to test some more at 18mm. They do say that vignetting is to be expected if you go wider.
The overall image histogram doesn't seem to be affected much at compensated camera speeds.

It works nicely from minimum value through 3/4 of the way which gives you approx. ND8. Above that, sometimes, you might get kind of a darker line in the shot but I haven't figured out yet how and when. This is however mentioned in the small one-page instruction leeflet that is included.

The only drawback is that you have to use the included wider lens cap because of the wider second ring. The quality is not bad but not as good as the camera-original and needs a bit more attention when placing it on the lens. The protection box is only big enough for the actual filter. You have to carry the cap seperately. So I keep everything in the somewhat thicker original carton box until I find a handy solution.

Kind Regards,

Patrick

Last edited by Corpus; 12-29-2010 at 02:57 PM.