Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great tyro 2010-08-11 15:13

Hello Peter,

Well, there's no better way of promoting your gospel than to practise what you preach! I have just downloaded this picture into PSE6 and passed the "thirds" grid over it and, accoring to the "Rule of Thirds" this is the perfect composition.

The left vertical dividing line of thirds runs exactly down the end of the wall of the building on the left; the right one passes right down the centre of the column in the middle of the fountain; the lower right "powerpoint" is in the little stream of water in the fountain and the left lower powerpoint is at the junction of the aforementioned wall with the ground. Other, more subtle, diagonals and lines mentioned by Gunnar lead the eye around the myriad shapes, colours and areas of light and shade.

A lovely photograph, not only on account of its "theoretically" excellent composition, but also because of its aesthetic appeal: probably, of course, the two are closely interlinked.

Other than composition, the lighting and exposure are superb and the sharpness and detail are fantastic. Lovely colour saturation too. Even the soft light reflections on those doors on the left and the little areas of water around the fountain add to the atmosphere.

That little old Canon A430 is doing you proud!

I'm adding this one to my favourites.

Kind Regards,

John.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:22 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To tyro: Bargemon

Thank you John for your kind words.

I'm glad you liked this picture.

This was cropped from a slightly larger image, which although it didnít conform with the rule of thirds, had looked pretty good to me at first.

However, as the fountain itself was in shade there were some large patches of OE in the foreground, and some white sky at the top left. I always find it very difficult to deal with these without ending up with patches of dirty white.

By running that very useful FastStone thirds crop grid over it, I was able at one stroke to get rid of the offending areas and produce the picture that I posted.

We had a very good week of sunshine, staying with one of my sons and his young family in a rented house close to this attractive village. A few weeks later there were flash floods and loss of life at Draguignan only a few km from here. We were flying to this area, so travelling light I left my big Fuji camera behind. The little Canon slips into the pocket and still performs well!

Kind regards,

Peter.