Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great macondo 2010-08-10 4:37

Hi Peter.

Nice array of timber boats fanned out in the dappled light coming through the trees. The combination of the green and brown tones is very pleasing, mingled with the reflections. The detail in the boats and the buildings and walls behind them is very good. I've heard about this program somewhere recently, but not used it; in fact I've never tried my hand at stitching. It's a pity the upper right side is a bit over-exposed, relatively speaking. I wonder if you could do something with that area using a layer mask, or perhaps crop a little. Perhaps the boats would look better, too, if the ones at the top of the line were closer to the right edge of the picture, but it's hardly important anyway. I notice you took the shots with a very small camera - it's disconcerting when you see so many good shots on TE which did not require a heavy investment in heavy equipment!

Regards,
Andrew

Old 08-10-2010, 03:09 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To macondo: Thanks Andrew....

...for your constructive critique. I think perhaps that you meant that the OE was at the top left corner not the top right?

One of the deficiencies of small compact cameras is the absence of good wide angle lens capability this photograph was result of my experimenting with stitching [using MS ICE] two overlapping side by side portrait orientated exposures as a quick way of getting a wider angle result.

MS ICE also produces surprisingly good results when combining two overlapping landscape exposures one above the other - so that the sky and the lower land area can both be given the right amount of exposure.

As to the use of "heavy" versus simple camera equipment to get good results, when it's all boiled down to 800 pixels maximum length and 300KB on TE, there's really no reason why a simple camera shouldn't be able to compete on equal terms.

Kind regards,

Peter.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:10 AM

Default My mistake

Yes, I did get left and right mixed up! And meant that the boats might look better if closer to the left side or top left corner. Not the first time I've typed the wrong word!

You're right about the pixel limitation of TE rendering the differences between cameras quite small, if the conditions under which the photo was taken were ideal, but the big advantage of a DSLR or super-zoom is the focal length of most of the zooms and the ability to use an extra-wide lens eg. down to 10-20mm (or 15-30 35mm equivalent). The other things are the use of filters like GND or CPL, and usually lower noise levels at higher ISOs. You just have to remember the limitations of the small cameras, I suppose. I'm thinking of getting one for myself, actually - something small and silent for taking photos of people!

Regards,
Andrew