Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Forum Feedback and Support

Notices

Old 04-09-2014, 09:29 AM
TE Expert

Default Turks and Caicos Islands

Hi Viviane,
Turks and Caicos Islands is also missing from British overseas territories.

- Kari
Old 11-04-2014, 03:55 PM
TE Senior Member

I see this problem a lot.
In Ireland the reason was often that some people did not agree with Northern Ireland being politically part of the United Kingdom - they often pasted Northern Irish photos under Republic of Ireland as a sign of protest I guess. Only person who knows the country well would be able to pick it up though.
Should I always report it when I see it?

Another messy country is UK. The division into counties is not very clear. For example I live in Teesside area which was part of county Cleveland. Now formally County Cleveland does not exist and they say that "for ceremonial purposes" Tesside has been divided between County Durham (north of the river Tees) and County North Yorkshire (south of the river Tees). But it is just "for ceremonial purposes" as authorities are quite delocalized here. Local Police is still called Cleveland Police, and the road signs for North Yorkshire start AFTER Teesside.

More problems in the UK are for example with Newcastle upon Tyne which is historically part of County Northumberland and it is where people place it. Together with its neighbouring area. However usually people miss the fact that Newcastle Metropolitan Area has formally its own county which is called County Tyne and Wear.
So if you look for photos from Newcastle -most of them are in the wrong location!

Similarly with some regions around Manchester or Liverpool which are historically part of Lancashire but not anymore, as now they are for example part of Greater Manchester area which is a separate county.
The confusion arises even when looking at addresses - I have seen once a name of a town "xxx in Lancashire" although it was actually in Greater Manchester.

Occasionally when I see it I tell it to the people. But when a country is wrong like a photo from Prague is under Krakow, I cannot help anymore...
Old 11-05-2014, 04:00 PM
TE Senior Member

Just a second ago I noticed that several people placed photos from York under West Yorkshire/York, HERE.
In fact York is located in North Yorkshire. So all the photos should be HERE, although I see people also created York City which is a wrong name.
M
Old 11-05-2014, 05:04 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Porteplume

Hi M... Just changed it...

Viviane
Old 11-07-2014, 03:39 PM
TE Senior Member

Thank you Viviane.
I guess you have read just my most recent post or also the one above it?

For example I looked now into County Northumberland in the UK and I found there:
•Newcasle on Tyne
•Newcastle
•Newcastle (Alnmouth)
•Newcastle (Cheviot)
•Newcastle (Tynedale)
•Newcastle (Tynemouth)
•Newcastle and Gateshead
•Newcastle Gateshead
•Newcastle on Tyne
•Newcastle Tall Ships 2005
•Newcastle upon Tyne
•Newcastle(Northumberland)
•Newcastle(South Shields)
•Newcastle(whitley Bay)
•Newcastle-Gateshead
•Newcastle-upon-Tyne
•Newvastle

They all should be located in County TYNE AND WEAR under
Newcastle upon Tyne

Similarly I found there
•North Tyneside

which should be in county TYNE AND WEAR

I found there also
•North Yorkshire
•Northumberland

which are both names of the counties...

Do you want me to keep giving you examples like this?
In Ireland I could find much more...
M
Old 11-07-2014, 10:15 PM

Thank M, Newcastle upon Tyne done... Next ones tomorrow.

Viviane
Old 11-08-2014, 02:12 PM

Done the others too...

I am ready to edit/correct any wrong location that you find on TE

Viviane
Old 11-10-2014, 04:02 PM
TE Senior Member

The easiest way to notice wrong location is to look at counties which are not popular on TE
One can almost always find something wrong in there.
For example looking at County Carlow in Ireland, one can find a photo from Giants Causeway, there is no doubt about the location as the author gives it in the title to this photo:
click here to see it.
This photo is not only in wrong county but even in a wrong country.
It should be under United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, County Antrim.
In situations like this I wonder though if it would not be better to delete this photo completely as this is the only photo from this author and such a poor quality.

Another funny example from County Carlow are these two photos:
photo 1 and photo 2.
County Carlow is not located near the coast but inland so the location of both photos must be wrong. Again his author is not very popular on TE... and those were his two only photos uploaded...

What can we do in such cases?
M
Old 11-11-2014, 12:54 PM

Hello Mariusz,

I can't delete an "old" photo even if the photographer hasn't logged in for quite a long time. So I have properly corrected the one about Giants Causeway and changed the two other ones with a county with a coast and given "unknown" as a location.

Viviane
Old 11-15-2014, 12:35 AM
TE Expert

One of the things that I like to do once in a while is organizing the locations, which very often are much messed up (duplicates, wrong subdivisions, etc.). I would do that much more more often if I had means to be more effective, namely:

1- Moving photos to another country. In these cases I use the "Report Problem" form, but I don't apparently those reports are always ignored, as I notice some situations already reported years ago.

2- Change the location of photos directly and not only the folders or galleries. Very oftenly I spot photos which right location I recognise but I can do nothing because the gallery has photos of various distinct locations.

Can I have the means to help on that?

Another thing I want to ask the sysadmins is to reorganize the subdivisions of Morocco, that now has little to do with the administrative divisions used in the country, so it is impossible to do a good organization there. In Morocco there are 16 "regions" which are subdivided in "provinces" and "prefectures" (these are at the same level, ie, basically some provinces are called prefectures). The folders used in Trekearth have name of provinces, but as there are many provinces and prefectures that are missing, it is impossible to know wher to put places like, for instance, Taroudant or Chichaoua (which are provinces, but they haven't a folder). The French Wikipedia is a good source (not the English one) to do that. Notice for instance. I'd suggest considering creating folders only for the regions and not the provinces, as in many cases the province will be difficult to identify.

Thank you.

Tags
lieux, locations