Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Tips-Techniques

Notices

Old 09-15-2009, 12:55 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Nikon or Canon?

Hi!

Go to a shop, and "play" with various models within your price range. This is the only way to know which brand will "fall" into your hand best. And don't limit yourself to Nikon (my choice, by family heritage) or Canon (it seems they also make decent cameras ;) ), but also try Pentax or Sony or whichever you find. Sony has the huge advantage to open the access to the vast range of Minolta lenses!

Personally, I did that although I limited my choice to Canon or Nikon, even though I was literally given some pretty good (at the time) Nikon stuff. I found that the ergonomics of the Nikon were better than the Canon counterpart, and I decided to stay with them. But it's a personal question, mainly!

Cheers,
Olivier
Old 09-15-2009, 02:28 PM
TE Expert

Olivier,

Don't hesitate one single minute and go for the obvious choice: Canon!!!

As some one pointed out before, once you invest in such equipment, there is no way back, up to the point where you will be so deceived by your Nikon that you will not mind loosing big dough and sale the crap to get yourself a real camera.

Two excellent former members here had to realize it their expense, selling their Nikon body and lenses (and loosing a lot while doing it - who can possibly wants old Nikon stuff when the new one is already bad!!!...), only to start all over again with Canon.

Zepi (Sebastien Egger) and Furachan (Francis Harrison) got rid of their bad yellow equipment and are now using proper tools of the trade. Admit it, you have to be really pissed of by crappy stuff to convert yourself after so much investment...

Here's a comment from Francis, who were making a critique on a member's post:
"After a very short and fruitless flirtation with Nikon I am back in the arms of Canon (5D MK II). It was bound to happen.. Those colors!".

This is a guy who have tried every possible equipment - he is working for a camera company in Japan, testing new stuff all the time. I think this sentence says it all.

Good luck with your reflection.

Andre

P.S.: This message is intended to fuel a vibrant discussion just like in the good old days of TE. Nikki,Toni, JeePee and Didier, I'm waiting for your replies... LOL!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 02:58 PM
TE Newbie

You want vibrant discussion? Possibly, and up to you. I want vibrant colours, so Nikon!

Have a good day!

O.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:00 PM
TE Newbie

Oh, and can we stay within the range of the original poster's question? Please? ;)

Cheers again,

O.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:07 PM
TE Expert

Tweedleedee, tweedleedum...isn't it?

Benny
Old 09-15-2009, 05:54 PM
TE Junior Member

I'm a Canonite but would love to get a Nikon, too ...

too bad there is no standard lens system for both, and...and...and...

Rgds,
Alex
Old 09-15-2009, 07:15 PM
TE Expert

Olivier,

Don't hesitate one single minute and go for the obvious choice: Nikon!!!

As some one pointed out before, once you invest in such equipment, there is no way back, up to the point where you will be so deceived by your Nikon that you will not mind loosing big dough and sale the crap to get yourself a real camera.

Many excellent former members here had to realize it their expense, selling their Canon body and lenses (and loosing a lot while doing it - who can possibly wants old Canon stuff when the new one is already bad!!!...), only to start all over again with Nikon.

Zepi (Sebastien Egger) and Furachan (Francis Harrison) stopped posting here...

This is a guy who have tried every possible equipment - he is working for a camera company in Japan, testing new stuff all the time. I think this sentence says it all.

Good luck with your reflection.

Didier

P.S.: This message is a reply to André... LOL!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Banned

Since NIkon cameras have a tendency for exploding the highlights as is obvious on the recent pictures of some Nikonists go for a Canon of course

Just an idea: 5DMkII + 17-40 + 28-300
you'll have fine hardware in the bag and you'll develop your muscles carrying it ;-)

The ex-Nikonists who stopped posting here were highly concerned about their photos being stolen and now make $$$$$ from their pro web sites
Old 09-16-2009, 01:53 AM
TE Newbie

I'm a CANONIAN, have used and experienced astounding results of its lenses, the outstanding operability and resistance to weather and aging quality makes it all worth it. I'm still new in this hobby, so I borrow my brother's Canon expensive 'L' lenses from time to time. I'm wishing for the new 7D! Amazing piece and so far the best system for me next to my 40D. It's my personal choice to stay and grow my skills with these cameras. I'm comfortable with the ease of use and Canon works well with me.

Nikon and Pentax are next in line with great innovative features. It's best to try and see what feels good in your hands and at the same time see the features you need.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:09 PM
TE Junior Member

Whatever you choose, Canon, Nikon, Pentax or whatever, 90 % of what you'll get in terms of results depends on you.
cheers
Stefano