Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 03-28-2009, 10:11 AM
TE Newbie

Default Critics, points and comments!

Hi!
When I started my acount here I did it to get feeldback om my pictures. I have been shooting for a couple of years but still consider myself as a beginner nd all feedback is worth alot.
I see pictures ( even in low quality ) that has recieved tons of comments and just wonder if I do anything wrong when I upload pictures. Do I miss something?
Please someone explain how this works!

Best Regards

Kristian
Old 03-28-2009, 10:48 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Critics, points and comments!

Hi Kristian!
An often discussed question here in the forum,and the most imposrtant thing is:
THE NUMBER OF POINTS SAYS NOTHING ABOUT THE QUALITY OF A PHOTO!!!!!!!
If you want points,post good photos and write critiques and give points to photos,you like.
If you want many points,write many critiques and give many points.....
If you want tons of points,write to those photos,mentioned above and you get tons of comments in return....
This makes no sense.....
But what do you want?
Your wrote 16 critiques and recieved 26!!!!

Most members don`t view all posted images,it takes too much time.
Some members built a ring of point buddies and they look only at their work.
Many members are only reacting members and don`t view the gallery,they see only the gallery of members from whom they recieve comments and reply.
Some members with more than 1000 points have never written a comment or gave some points.
Some members write only to members from their own country.
Some members write only to members who understand their language
and so on,and so on......
here are more than 70000 members and many,many ways how to act.
Write your maximum of 20 per day and wait.
Have a nice weekend!
Regards,leo
Old 03-28-2009, 11:26 AM
TE Newbie

me i dont care about points i like good constructive comments anyday pos/neg all welcome
i will only comment on what i like and if i dont like i wont comment simple

as i said in another forum i showcase my work to show people my interpretations of land/seascape photography at a high level

i dont understand why people would want to comment on a poor photo saying its fantastic and having millions of points does not make you a A1 pro photographer

just my 2 cents
Old 03-28-2009, 11:45 AM
TE Newbie

personally, if i get 4000 points, as a lot of members do, then i'll vomit all over them.
most 3000+ point members don't have great work. they just have a great circle of sycophants.
if some of the 3000+ point members were half as good as their massaged egos suggest, then they'd be professional photographers with not enough time on their hands to go near te or any other site that reminded them of work.
note that i don't point the finger at all high point earners. just the majority of them.
i'm now the proud owner of 101 points. 33 points were from people i have never heard of. 33 points were from people after i surprised them with a critique. 33 were because i posted a photo from their home area eg points from brisbane australia because i posted a photo from there. and 2 were just because somebody was drunk and she thought i was nice. so - i'm actually worth 35 points.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:06 PM
TE Expert

POINTS IS THE EVIL OF TE

rewards the site-owner
and
exploits illusions
discrediting
honest critiques, comments, exchange, friends and so on
ecouraging
the hypocrisy

points is a pure commercial system
Old 03-28-2009, 03:35 PM

Perry,

Generalisations such as these do nobody any favours. Yes, there are undoubtedly some with a massive points count where there may be questions about how those points were accumulated. There are also some superb photographers who have posted on the site who are pro's, or who have gone on to be pro's after posting on, and learning a lot from, this site.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:19 PM
TE Senior Member

Hi Henk,
please have a look at the galleries of those who have achieved most points, would you state that their work wasn't worth it?
I agree to all of you that the point system is strange but everybody has the freedom to handle it individually.
I wish you all a nice weekend,
Harriet
Old 03-28-2009, 07:19 PM
TE Expert

Point is a "Sunday School reward system" who make grown people act like childs. Some of the really big traders even post photos where they say they have no motif, nothing of interest - really just point the camera out of their kitchen window and shoot whatever, then post it and recieve some 200 points or 100 so called critics for WHAT....

Of course some of the TE life has value by people interacting with each other - but the points, the reward system, is for the kindergarten not people who wants to develop their skills in a photog site as TE could be (and needs to be if it shoud not stagnate further)...
Old 03-28-2009, 10:16 PM
TE Newbie

my other observation is that you get a lot of your points within the first week or so.

other members have suggested that if photos were anonymous for a while, it would make getting points a lot more realistic.

perhaps te could have a dual point system -
anonymous member for (example) 14 days, where points are attached, then the member's name appears with a dual points readings :-

up to 14 days anonymous / after 14 days with name.

so your photo points would look like (eg) 18/23

18 from when the photo was anonymous for 14 days, and 23 after your name starts appearing next to it.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:27 AM
TE Newbie

Hi Everybody !
Well since I started this thread and gone through all the answers I will give you my thoughts.

I thought this was a forum where you could show you travelpictures to other photographers like myself and get an honest comment. I would never tell people that their pictures are good if there not. How would you as an amature improve your skills if people canīt give an honest opinion.
I have seen many fantastic pictures on TE but there are also many pictures that should have been deleted right after shooting. As someone said, points has nothing to do with the quality of your picture ( sadly ) and if so ...its more like...the more points you get...the more friends you have.
Good or bad....well thats up to you to decide.

/ K