Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 03-21-2009, 09:05 PM
TE Junior Member

Default The quality of photographs....

Hi Members..
I think the quality of the photographs is deteriorate ,what do you think about it?...subir
Old 03-22-2009, 07:09 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: The quality of photographs....

Hello Subir.

The quality of photos on trek earth is very poor and once in a while a good one shows up. I see it as a downward trend over the last number of years and its quite distressing as clearly seen in the main gallery. If digital cameras have improved over the years why is it that quality postings has gone the other way. If I have a poor quality photo posted I would like to see a suggestion to improve it, and the suggestion would hopefully help me in the long run. The way I see the main gallery there is far too many poor quality photos that it would take all far too much and too much work. Hope this suggestion helps.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:06 PM

Regrettably, I have to agree about the quantity of poor images posted. I think TE has become a victim of its own success, and many newer members appear to view the site simply as a depository for their pictures. The vast majority of images posted now don't have any form of note, let alone meaningful notes.
There are times when the story the picture is imparting is more important than the quality of the image, but those instances are few. When you receive insulting comments after posting what you feel is a balanced critique, you start to wonder if there is any point in participating at all.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:11 AM
TE Newbie

As the population is flooded with digital cameras you would think that all the snaps have to end up someplace.

Matt
Old 03-23-2009, 06:45 AM
TE Expert

I have to agree with you Subir.

I've been ostracized for voicing this opinion before; however I still think here is NO correlation between the number of points a photo or member has and the quality of photography. It's simply a measure of the users activity on TrekEarth.

Any photographer can go and post an 'average' photo followed by copious amounts of sugar-coated 2 point critiques and get the same false accolades. It's truly a joke...
I gave someone an honest critique the other day (with 1 point smile), and was basically told off because of it. I've been shooting for quite a few years and I'm still learning- clearly they have learnt all it there is to know about photography.

It would be nice if people were a little more concerned with learning and improving rather then concerned about their points.

My two cents,
- Dan
Old 03-23-2009, 12:34 PM
TE Expert

I couldn't agree more with everything you said Dan.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:39 PM
TE Expert

I get that impression too that the overall QUALITY is really going downhill. Still it's worth going through the gallery because you can still stumble upon new members really uploading quality stuff. Avoiding the general gallery altogether would just create more social (mutual appreciation) groups, regardless of any quality of the pictures.

And as far as the POINTS go: is there really anyone left who believes that these really and truly reflect photographic quality and photographic quality alone? On the other hand I wouldn't go as far as to say that they ONLY represent your activity on the site, either, that is: on a 1/1 basis. Any really, really good shot will still get at least some points on its photographical merit alone.

Benny
Old 03-23-2009, 02:54 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Told off for bad critiques

Oh Daniel, I live to be told off for bad critiques! I really wish I could get more bad critiques, myself.

Let them tell you off. If they are posting in a public forum, they should have enough self esteem to take the bad with the good. You are right, there is far too much of the sugar coated crap.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:20 PM
TE Senior Member

Hi my dear TE friends!
I think the quality of the photos have gone downhill, however, still, I can find good ones and I have decided I will only comment on pictures I really like and on the ones I really find good quality or, maybe, a flaw that I can point out in order to help the member, as it has happened to me since the very beginning!
When I started in here I soon found out it was much more a matter of human relations than fairly or deeply criticizing the photographs. That bothered me at first but I ended up enjoying so much the site I don't want to leave it... since I think it's sort of unique in its aim!
That's it!
My warmest regards to you all!
Neyvan
Old 03-24-2009, 12:53 PM
TE Junior Member

Dear TE photographers,
Of course the question will arise, what is a bad photograph. is it subject or bad technique?
I believe that just about every photograph will be of interest to someone.
Even a photograph that is technically bad can be acceptable if the subject is important.
Robert Capa's pictures of the 'D' day landings during World war II are technically awful but considered iconic.
Mike.