Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 03-25-2009, 11:38 AM
TE Expert

Default Please don't!!!

After some time, with much pleasure, at TE i understand that TE is not only a community where you can learn much about photografy and the world, but it is also a sociaal community where you make friends. That's great.
THat de sociaal side of TE results at giving points to friends when photo's are bad, is alright with me but PLEASE DON'T tell them that they have done a great work when that's no true. Your not beeing a friend and not helping to improve the skills of your friend.
Be a real friend and give a true critique.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:03 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Please don't!!!

You don't have to lie.. in almost every image there's something worth mention and giving good critic
on a picture that's below the average and It is fine as long as it is constructive and not false.
I think we learn more of the good things we doing than the not so good.

But of cause I agree in general with you
Anders
Old 03-25-2009, 01:46 PM
TE Expert

Hi Kik.

Sometimes it's as simple as you say (people are lying just to have 2 points back), sometimes not. It's all about the difference between objectivity and subjectivity. If you know a photo has been shot by a friend of yours, you may sincerly find it more beautifull that if it has been shot by a stranger... Don't you think so?

Loc
Old 03-25-2009, 03:09 PM
TE Expert

Hi Loic, i agree with you that beauty is subjective and also that a photo of a friend will get more the attention than from a stranger but i realy don't understand when i see a photo that is extremly overexposed or unsharp that as friend someone kan give the critique: "fantastic light managemnt and DOF". In my opinion you would help more if you write: 'i like the idea of your photo but you could improve it with a better light managemet en DOF". That way you can increase your skills.
Thank you for your message
Regards
KIKS
Old 03-25-2009, 03:13 PM
TE Newbie

this is true if i see something in a photo thats not to my liking or it needs to be improved i will say so

normaly you can tell if someone likes to point and shoot OR they are attempting to make a more professional approach to the shot there for i would crit the shot in a constuctive way

as for the points thing ive only been on this site a couple days and for someone to fish for points im not really understanding of

you mount up hudreds or thousands of points but where does the points thing end ?? and what uses do the points have ???

or am i missing the point lol (no pun intended) :P
Old 03-25-2009, 04:34 PM
TE Expert

Welcome to TE. I hope you enjoy it as much as i do. I sure will enjoy your posts. I've take a look at your gallery and you have 2 gorgeus photos. About the points i agree totaly with you but if you take a good look at the critiques you will see that many people are here only for points. No problem with me if they enjoy to participate in this way but a pitty that they miss the real goal of TE. I will keep on enjoying and try to learn more and more from other members work and critiques.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:00 PM
TE Junior Member

Kik, I've found people don't like hearing the truth, even if they say they do. It's like when someone fat asks you if they are indeed fat, they know they are, but want you to say otherwise. It seems many of our fellow Trekkers need this validation, so telling them not to is like trying to bail the water from the Titanic with a cup. Won't work.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:29 PM

Very true that some people don't like honest appraisals of their work unless it's glowing praise. In my opinion they shouldn't be posting here if they can't cope with criticism. I actually had one 'tog basically saying "How dare I post negative comments about his work when mine isn't perfect". The answer to that one is simple "I do post here precisely because my work isn't perfect. Getting opinion and advice is how you learn"
Old 03-25-2009, 08:02 PM
TE Newbie

well tbh for me i joined this site to show my interpretations of land/seascape photography and have found a style which i enjoy doing
and i like to showcase my work for all to see
i love all comments on my work positive / negative comments are all interesting if its a constructive comment
and in return i will make reflected comments on what ive just stated
so if i feel the photo is good IE (subject matter/composition/colours/sharpness/and good depth) i will make a constructive comment and if i think there could be improvment i will state that too :)
as for points i have no interest in them tbh but only comments

thanks for you kind comments on my work to :)
Old 03-25-2009, 10:04 PM
TE Expert

Hello Kik Ko

I agree with you. Just the true, nothing more the true. I disagree when some members only appears for to say:It's horrible! and others pleasant words. There are other ways to make critiques, indeed.I have understood that if a picture is bad, a member that has more experience can give suggestions about it, like how to improve, to avoid something...and so on.
My english is not very well , so I hope that you understand me.