Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 03-23-2009, 12:01 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Weekly Contest?

Anybody interested on having weekly contests in TE? Just for the fun of it.
We could create a Theme where any member can post one photo weekly, and then we use a topic in the forum for voting. Basically, we could follow the pattern of some groups in Flickr.
Any comment?
cheers
Jorge
Old 03-23-2009, 12:07 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Weekly Contest?

Count me in! :))
Old 03-23-2009, 02:54 PM
TE Senior Member

Personally I don't think it's a very good idea. Let me explain : for sure most of us have seen that there is to much "point-sharing" (or how should I call it ?) and I bet in a weekly contest the same people will vote only for their "friends", then the risk is big enough that a quality photo will never get the chance to win...
Old 03-23-2009, 03:15 PM
TE Expert

I definitly agree with Luc... I add all my TE photos in Panoramio to place them on the Google Map and almost all the coments I got are followed by a "my monthly contest" link wich means "if you want me to give you an other coment, vote may photos before!"...

Loïc
Old 03-23-2009, 04:02 PM
TE Senior Member

Exactly, Loïc.
A while ago I sent some photos to a Dutch website, for a monthly contest. I got good votes (from unknown people)... in the beginning... then all of a sudden some really poor photos got dozens of votes the last days of the contest... On that site you could invite friends to vote for your photo, and that does not give a fair result. It's a bit like all those "crap" television programs (reality etc...).
I will always prefere a (photo)contest with an independant jury...
Old 03-23-2009, 04:13 PM
TE Expert

I fully agree with Luc... if it's to be done, then I think the member names on the photos should be hidden until AFTER the winner has been announced (something along those lines).

Just my opinion...
- Dan
Old 03-23-2009, 04:52 PM
TE Expert

I totally agree with Daniel as for names/nicks n the images in case there is a contest...
for some time we had a great great fun with the scavenger hunts.
please check this theme: http://www.trekearth.com/scavhunt.php?hid=7&ttype=stats

warmest regards,

Isabel
Old 03-23-2009, 11:40 PM
TE Junior Member

Hello Jorge,

It's an interesting idea, though I believe a weekly contest to be too much. Monthly?

This idea could be well used by the administration.

Regards

Nuno
Old 03-24-2009, 02:21 AM
TE Senior Member

Thanks all for your inputs.
I also had the fear that it might become an exchange of votes. However, unlike points in TE, each member can vote only once (let's say three photos only). So, if somebody’s photo is bad, but he (she) looks for votes as an exchange for his (her) own votes, that person might get only three votes, which is clearly not enough to win. To win somebody must get votes from people he (she) did not vote for. Of course, assuming that there are many photos participating.
Of course, if we stretch our thinking to the worse case behavior, somebody could start sending emails to all his (her) friends in TE asking for votes, but that is maybe too much evil thinking.
A good idea is to hide the name, but still somebody could contact all friends in TE and ask “vote for photo #10!” This is unavoidable.
Hence, if most people are against this idea because being afraid that will become American Idol style, the idea of weekly/monthly contest dies here.

Thanks again for replying to my post.

Cheers

Jorge
Old 03-29-2009, 11:02 PM
TE Senior Member

Send a message via MSN to Juntas

I think I could participate in something like that. I agree with the monthly proposal and with the 3 votes limit.

I think that the whole process should be anonimous (the posting and the voting) meaning that the pictures should be posted without any information or at least it must be hidden till the voting is off (no member id, no info on the country and no note).

The process could be something like: From 1st to 10th each month people post the photos; from 11th to 20th, people vote on the photos; from 21 to the end of the month, someone take care of the rest :-)

Hope you find this usefull. Regards.

Paulo