Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Good geester 2009-02-22 12:16

Hi John,

A nice picture of a frozen canal that leads the eye from front to back. The flashes of red attract my eye as well. I can't help but notice a lot of dust in the sky though. Gotta clean that sensor. I wish I could post an image with dust and get 250 points:-)

Graeme

Old 02-23-2009, 06:43 AM
TE Expert

Default To geester: dust

Hello Graeme,

I am surprised that you find dust, sorry I can no find and the a lot members found no dust.
Alone when you the picture bringing to 200% than can you find three small dust, this about the complete picture.
When every day different other lensens use than get you almost everyday dust on the censor, when you work F/2.8 shall you never see dust, but I want always depth sharpness in my pictures.
I shall today bring a visit to your gallery.
Sorry I write very bad English I hope that you understand my reply.

Best regards,

John.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:21 PM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To geester: dust

Hi John,

Your English is far far better than my Belgian, in fact, your English is better than my english (I'm from Scotland, Glasgow to be precise and if I didn't have aspell checker, I'd be in trouble).

Don't get me wrong John, you have some amazing compositions in your gallery and are clearly the piller on which Trek Earth resides. I do completely respect you for your work, your length of time on the site and the fact that, without fail, you will comment almost every day on all kinds of photos across the site. It shows a love for photography that not everyone has.

I do think that someone with your prestige on the site should get rid of the dust. I understand that you don't like post processing, which is fine, but I wouldn't call removing dust from a photo post processing too much. If I was to post something with visible dust, I have no doubt it would be pointed out to me, and I would want it to be pointed out to me as well. I think my real gripe is probably with the 125 other people who commented on your photo who didn't mention it at all, instead giving the usual 'wow, brilliant, amazing' comments. I am sure that a lot of those people can see the dust, but choose not to mention it either because it is not important to them or because they do not want to be disrespectful to the man with the most points. The photo is really good, but the dust ruins it for me. Needless to say, there is dust on a few of your other photos (it's on the sensor so it's inevitable), some more visible than others, and some others who do workshops for you do remove it. Again, it is almost never mentioned. If it was me........

Of course, when you change lenses dust get's in. there is nothing you can do about that aspect, but it's not the most difficult thing to either clean the sensor or clone out dust on photos.

I am being exceptionally picky as sensor dust is something that I think has the potential to ruin the shot. I count nine pieces of visible dust on this photo, not three. I really don't want to be disrespectful, but if you like, with your permission, and ONLY with your permission, I will do a workshop circling what I can see.

Once again, was it not for the dust you have another really great image. Do keep posting.

I would be honoured if you would look at my gallery and I will value your comments, good or bad (and most will probably be bad). I am very new to photography and I value all comments and criticism. Criticism especially, because it's the only way I will improve to the point where one day, maybe I could be comparable with the likes of you. I'll probably never get there, but I'll try. You will hopefully see some improvement from my first photos, and that is mainly as a result of the people on this site giving me advice.

You see John, people like me look up to people like you. Someone who has posted so many photos and who so obviously has a great eye for an image.

I hope you are not offended by what I have said.

Graeme
Old 02-23-2009, 06:16 PM
TE Expert

Hello Graeme,

I've with a lot attention read your letter, this is a long letter.
Never I shall be angrily when somebody write a critique.
I am very glad that we each other can understand in a other language than us own language.
I understand your letter and also your intention about my place on TE.
I makes as every one mistakes, I got more critique about dust on my censor, I work with 2 5D cameras of Canon with diverse lenses, 5D having no automatic dust remove system, best is dust remove with a cloon tool of CS3.
I am old and perhaps see I not everytime the small dust on the picture, or perhaps when I makes 200% than see I the mistake.
I shall in future more give attention to this problem.

I see that you work with a D700 of Nikon, a very good camera, we come almost on the same hight camera.
I can give a good advice, look for a good composition, try always to work manual, than get you control about your work.
I see one of your photographs where the horizon of the sky line tilt this are real mistakes, but I shall more pictures look at, and also give points tomorrow.

You can always make a WS, this is no problem, than can I learn of you.

Good evening,

John.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:52 PM
TE Newbie

Hi John,

I didn't realise how long my post was until I hit 'post message'. I do go on and on and on.....

You are right, everyone does make mistakes. I myself make many. I know the Canon 5D. It's a really great camera which a lot of people on this site use. And you have two. You must really like it. I love my Nikon D700, but I fear it is a bit too good for me just now. It's ability in low light is very impressive though.

Thank you for your advice. I always struggle with straight horizons and find it pretty hard to see what is level in camera. I usually have to crop my images to make them straighter in the end. This is definitely one of my weaknesses.

I always work in manual now. Ever since I bought a book called 'Understanding Exposure' by Bryan Peterson I really understand how to work in manual. It's an amazing book. I have A LOT to learn though. But that's the best part for me. Always learning, and I bet you will agree.

The only way to get rid of dust is in post processing. I always shoto in RAW so when I open the file in Photoshop Elements I can view it at 100%. Then teh dust is pretty big.

As I have your permission, I'llpost my two workshop quota today. On one I will circle what I see as dust, on the other I will clone it out.

Good evening to you sir.

Graeme
Old 02-24-2009, 06:11 AM
TE Expert

Hi Graeme,

You had my permission, I look with a lot attention, sorry but on my small picture find I these small part dust not.
This gives to my that I more shall look at when I shall place a picture on TE.
So learn we every day of each other.

Greetings from Belgium,

John