Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 02-03-2009, 10:58 AM
TE Expert

Default Why do the icons * [ ] | | exist?

There is a good reason:

The gold or silver icons denote a highly rated member. These icons may be combined.
* Gold/Silver Star Critiquer
[ ] Gold/Silver Workshop Editor
| | Gold/Silver Note Writer

Each time a member marks a fellow member's critique/workshop/note as Useful, the member receives one point. If the total Useful points received are 50 or higher, the member is designated a corresponding Gold icon. If the points are 10 or higher, a member is designated a corresponding Silver icon.

Well, why not to improve the system to encourage members to post photos and workshops, critique and write more frequently? Today you get all those golden icons if you receive 50 useful points but you can spend the whole year without doing anything and the icons will be there. It's like the medals you won by the good work from the past.

My suggestion is to relate the icons not only with the useful points by themself but the frequency you receive them. Don't you think this would make the site more dynamic? Please, this IS NOT about competition but a way to see who really contributes to the site and to take great advantage of that.

I hope not to be misunderstood in my poor english.

Waiting for your thoughts...
Old 02-03-2009, 11:22 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Why do the icons * [ ] | | exist?

Hi Carlos,

Why do icons *, [ ] & | | exist?
To be honest, I don't know and I don't really care.
If you ask me, this feature could easily be removed or replaced with something more constructive... but with what, I have no idea.

And one more thing - there's nothing wrong with your English, in fact it's quite good.
;-D

R.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:13 AM
TE Expert

That's the point, Robert.

The way it works today doesn't help in anything.

Almost everybody checks the notes and workshops of the others as useful, including you and me. Do you know why you do that for?

I see a good reason for chaging the way the members receive these icons, at least for workshops. Seeing a member with the golden | | icon I could be sure I'll have fresh photoshop works in his/her gallery. Man, I find those workshops so useful. I've learned a lot with them! :))

But if this is still bullshit (can I say that in here?) so why not to eliminate the icons and the "useful" stuff?
Old 02-04-2009, 09:46 PM
TE Expert

But if this is still bullshit (can I say that in here?) so why not to eliminate the icons and the "useful" stuff?

Use of foul language is not recommended (neither in here nor anywhere, really) it won't help you with anything and it doesn't enrich your vocabulary in any way - trust me!
;-D

The best way to change what you think needs changing is to contact one of the moderators or use any of the contact addesses for/from this website and make a suggestion.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:07 AM
TE Expert

Yes, my mom taught me that long time ago...thanks for making me remember that. I almost forgot about it :)))

Well, I do think this is the best way to be noticed by the moderators...but let's finish this in here. It seems that what I'm asking is bul.....I mean not convenient!

Thanks for taking your time anyway :)