Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 12-18-2008, 11:29 AM
TE Junior Member

Default What about Voltaire?

Like many of you, I learned about Polonaise’s disabled account (he was amongst my “favorites” here on TE), but apparently, this is only a temporary ban and, hopefully, Polonaise and his Photos will be back before New Year!

Said this, it is quite disturbing to see someone (whoever he or she is) temporarily banned, just because he/she has “different” opinions and because he/she expresses them in a "different", way.
As to Polonaise, you often have to read between the lines he writes, or to look twice at his photos to discover that, beyond their "shocking" effect (at least, for some), they DO have a deeper and human meaning.

What to conclude? That "difference" disturbs? That even members of a "global" website are not able to "transcend" difference? That humans are just... humans? That these misunderstandings can happen to ALL of us, if we are not capable of looking beyond the obvious?

I know this is a private website and that, consequently, it belongs to the owners to do what they think is good for their product. I also understand (but do not approve) they intervened the way they did because of the reactions Polonaise's approach may have provoked by others (whoever they are). I even can understand these reactions, given the different cultures and characters present on TE. But, when I learned about Polonaise's banning, I had to think of what Voltaire once said:

"Je ne partage pas du tout vos idées, mais je me battrai pour que vous puissiez les exprimer".

(I don't agree at all with your ideas, but I will fight, so that you will be able to express them).

A nice day to you all & welcome back soon to the banned!
E.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:53 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: What about Voltaire?

You must play nicely, like a good child, Erik. Stay in your sandbox, don't rock the boat. Make sure you run your photo through NeatImage!

Blah. Though I like many pretty, colourful photos, I reserve the right to revel in provocative, seedy, "dirty" works of Art as well. Please join the Christmas party december 25. I myself will convert for one day.

Thanks Erik,

Farah
Old 12-18-2008, 02:59 PM
TE Junior Member

Indeed, Farah. If someone asked me to put a name on the "soul" of TrekEarth or TrekLens, I certainly wouldn't mention Mister NeatImage ;o). Sometimes, a photo needs grain to make it real, just like the Trek sites DO need photographers who keep our mind and imagination alive...
Old 12-18-2008, 03:02 PM
TE Junior Member

Erik, this site needs an enema. That's the second movie quote I've used today. Lame, but true.