Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 12-16-2008, 09:35 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Unauthorised use of an image as a desktop background

Hi folks,

Just this morning I was on a local Estate Agent's website and noticed a property for sale. The owners had been daft enough to have a photo of their study, complete with a computer with one of my images as the desktop background.

I live in a small community and know the photo hasn't been purchased, simply lifted from TE.

Should I approach the people, send them an invoice, or simply take it as a compliment!

Advice please?
Thanks
Craig
Old 12-16-2008, 10:28 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Unauthorised use of an image as a desktop background

A desktop background? Take it as a compliment!
Old 12-16-2008, 01:19 PM
TE Junior Member

I agree with Kaj. They are not profiting from your photo or using it to promote anything, presumably. I use my favourites as backgrounds all the time.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:45 PM
TE Newbie

I'd send them a note giving them permission to use it as a desktop background and ask them to not share it further without referring other people back to the TE poster for permission. I'm an artist as well as photographer and have been obtaining permission from TEers to paint their photos. Everyone has been most gracious and I hope TE stays that way.

On the other side of the permission coin is an email I got this weekend asking my permission to use my Sierra Leone photos of people for a commercial "diamond spa" venture. Not only did I refuse permission but I removed the photos from TE. The last thing I want to see is the people who were victimized by "blood diamonds" used by diamonds again.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:54 PM
TE Senior Member

Some people that I know, also use some of my shots as a back-ground on their screen. Some of them informed me, some did not. But I have no single problem with that, because I know they are not commercially used.
DokDi, your decission for the Sierra Leone photos is very noble, I wish there were more people like you : congratulations.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:59 PM
TE Newbie

Noble is sad. I love the people in those photos and appreciated the kind comments you Trekers offered when they were posted. It hurts to be forgotten by part of the world and exploited by the rest.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:10 PM
TE Senior Member

"Noble is sad" ?
Did I use the wrong word (with good intentions) ? Or maybe "noble-minde" is the correct expression ? I translated as I thought it had to be translated (in Dutch it is "nobel")...
Old 12-16-2008, 10:12 PM
TE Newbie

You used "le mot juste." I turned it into an indefinite antecedent! What I meant to say was that what I did may have been noble but the fact that I had to made me sad.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:15 PM
TE Senior Member

oh, I understand. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:19 AM
TE Junior Member

I'm sure our friend inasiajones, if he could be with us, would disagree with all you kind folks... to set a picture as a desktop background involves deliberately downloading it with a right-click, or even less innocently, some sly use of the print-screen button. It's a thin line, but when you place someone else's picture on your shiny expensive monitor - you know you've crossed it. Once you allow desktop backgrounds, where will it ever stop? He recently sent me a personal message to say he's in far lands rural, mountainous and desertic, so I thought I'd reiterate his view in this important debate.