Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 12-10-2008, 02:13 PM
TE Expert

Default Just curious

I was wondering why anyone would think that their photos should be critiqued yet in return they don't feel any obligation or duty to respond or reply in any way. Isn't that just a wee bit cheeky? Isn't that logic a bit flawed? Or am I missing something and the majority of us are just here in a support role to the prima donnas?

Greg
Old 12-10-2008, 04:06 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Just curious

I actually would not mind if they do not give critique back or visit my gallery, but at least I would appreciate some response or feedback on the queries posed to their photo posts. I had experience with a few of such skilled photographers.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:36 PM
TE Expert

Expectation of critiques is an interesting one - sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't - I know I had critique overload at one point - I just couldn't bring myself to write anymore but know gradually having started posting again I am trying to find more time to look at work. There are of course the 'critiquing rounds' - maybe mutual appreciation gatherings but also lots of valuable and interesting dialogue between groups of photographers from time to time - sometimes I just find it overwhelming these days by the sheer amount of work ....and not having the one or two hours a day to dedicate to TE makes a real difference - I must say i love it when those times appear - and I am sure I have been guilty of not replying to odd requests for info too but not so many I'm going to feel too guilty over it .....there are far more times I have ....not that I am putting myself in the frame of a 'skilled photographer' - in a way we are all skilled differentially in what we choose to put on TE.

Anyway you both just got my attention and curiosity to see what you are posting.

best wishes Kev
Old 12-11-2008, 05:40 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Greg,

I agree it's "cheeky" if you have made many comments to that person to not respond at all-You don't have to award the precious points, but at least make some comment back to someone who appreciates your work, and has told you numerous times.

Then again. every community has it's cliques. If I comment to someone many times and they never respond to anything, I move on.

Another point to consider is language barrier.

Farah
Old 12-11-2008, 06:12 PM
TE Expert

Default Farah

As you point out it is the response and acknowledgment that a conversation has been initiated snd not the points angle. I would be heartened or refreshed by a response something like "Thanks for the comment but you don't have a clue as to what I was trying to show" or "That is you opinion, mine is..."

As for the language barrier that would be the poorest of excuses withthe included translation software.

It is a community of cliques but in my dream world people would take the time to say why they don't like a shot, it would more productive than hearing how good the stuff is.

Greg
Old 12-11-2008, 06:14 PM

I have no problem if the 'tog doesn't reply to my comments or critiques. I would far rather they take the time to comment or critique other photos whether mine or others. The one's I object to are the few (very few) who have received many critiques, but have done few to none in return. That is taking the *!?@ in my mind.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:15 PM
TE Expert

Keith,

I guess I stated it wrong, that is exactly the ones I am talking about
Old 12-11-2008, 10:32 PM
TE Senior Member

Hi Greg
I really don't know specifically if I understand your question, but I think as you about the response of some critiques we can receive on photos and then give some feedback to the person who took the time to see and critique our photos...
otherwise I tell you that since I received an e-mail from the "mods" saying that they "cut off" an photo of mine in TE cause the "thank you" for the response, I never gave a feedback anymore...
I never wrote just a "thank you", I always tried to write something more about it...
I do not fell happy with this... I really fell sad to answer nothing when I receive a critique!
But I also do not know how to "return they don't feel any obligation or duty to respond or reply in any way" ...
how can we do this? make it aleatory?

Did I misunderstand you?

PS: this is not a critique to the mods....just a real doubt..

Tayon
Old 12-11-2008, 11:19 PM
TE Expert

Tayon,

What I am talking about is when I critique repeatedly one member but never get back a critique in return or a note or any for of acknowledgment that I took the time to make the effort. I don't care about the points but I resent I suppose being ignored.

Greg
Old 12-12-2008, 01:16 AM
TE Expert

On my early times of TE I replied nearly to every critique or comment I received, but I quickly changed that to replying mostly when I had something I felt important to say, namely to clarify something, arguing, or answering a question that was posed. That tends to happen more often when the critiques are more comprehensive and/or point to something that nobody else noticed, sometimes me included.

However, I do my best "returning" critiques, not because of points (who cares about that? I suspect that some of those who whine the most about the point trading are among them), but as a way to establish communication and more exchange of ideas, not to mention that it is also a matter of politeness. This social aspect of TE is what makes this site unique and curiously, contrarily to what some claim, the average level of the discussions and insightfulness of them and the critiques are well above the other sites that I sometimes browse.

Maybe in theory we could trust statistics and simply pick the posts that we critique from the general galleries, instead of looking on the galleries of our "friends", but the fact is there are too many members that write very few critiques, so the tendency would be that only the "better" or the "worst" photos would have a reasonable amount of attention and our non genial posts would get very few critiques. Not to mention that in the limit getting a "nice photo critique" from a guy we don't know doesn't mean anything, but can actually be a great praise. The contrary is also true - as we get to know those who comment our posts, we can perceive that a "nice" can actually mean a "you didn't make it this time, buddy".

Is TE really that different from other groups or communities of "real" (non online) life? Isn't it natural that people try to say something when someone comments on his/her deeds and tend to interact and communicate more with those with whom they feel they have more affinities or a mutual interested in each other points of view, or the way they express them?

Just my two cents of random thoughts...

Josť