Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great mkamionka 2008-11-20 11:17

That is a very interesting shot.
Most of all from a country which is underrepresented here. I like the silhouettes of the cranes in the distance.

The noise level is pretty high though.
M

Old 11-20-2008, 07:36 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To mkamionka: Noise is a problem

Hi, Mariusz -

Yes, the noise is high. I was trying to compromise between noise and darkness in the foreground, but either way I end up with too much noise or too much dark. So be it. Noiseware, which normally gets me out of a jam like this, didn't help, either, because it screwed up other parts of the photo.

This one has been almost more trouble than it's worth - but not quite, because T-the-Great's megalomania really is a sight to see. Even this photo doesn't quite convey the overwhelming feeling you get when that statue looms over you. As I mentioned in the note, his successor talks about moving the arch to the edge of town, but hasn't done so yet. And T-the-Great's building program still goes on: Marble apartment buildings, widely spaced, where almost no one lives, and major hotels that are assigned to different ministries, and also go mostly unused. You can even see a couple of the cranes here.

Waste of money, of course. But only now, 2 years after T dropped dead of a heart attack, are people feeling that they can start to complain.

Cheers,
Dan