Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Announcements

Notices

Old 11-20-2002, 11:15 PM
TE Expert

Default Photo Re-Post Feature Now Available

Have you ever received a critique recommending to do something to improve your image? But maybe you didn't want to have similiar images posted in your account or you didn't want to delete the original image because it contained interesting critiques?

Well, now there is a new feature available to encourage you to experiment with your photos. Next to all your images in the 'Manage' section, there is a new link called 'Re-Post' in between the 'Edit' and 'Delete' links. You can follow this 'Re-Post' link to upload a modified image of your existing photo.

The 'final version' of this photo is the one that will be displayed in the 'Photos' section. However, there will now be a 'Photo Version' line in the 'Photo Information' section for the photo where the 'Original Version' may be viewed and compared with the new modified photo.

Note: It's not currently possible to have more than 2 versions of any one photo.
Old 11-21-2002, 01:38 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Photo Re-Post Feature Now Available

I like this new feature a lot. Seems well executed. Although being able to post more than 2 versions would be nice, I don't think people should be able to make unlimited revisions. Maybe 3-4 total.

I think that earlier versions of the photo should remain in the 'Photos' section archive, because it will most likely be the earliest versions that have the most comments (and, thus, are most useful as a learning tool). Later, improved versions will probably receive fewer comments, so the image won't show up as well in a feedback/popularity search. The more opportunities the user has to access the photo, the better, in my opinion.
Old 11-21-2002, 01:58 AM
TE Expert

"Maybe 3-4 total."

I'll see if this feature becomes popular. Once I see that it's actually used, I can added another repost option. (It's not trivial to do this, otherwise I would have done it from the get-go.)

"I think that earlier versions of the photo should remain in the 'Photos' section archive, because it will most likely be the earliest versions that have the most comments (and, thus, are most useful as a learning tool)."

Well, once a photo has been re-posted, it automatically becomes "linked" to the original image. Thus, a link will automatically be displayed from the re-posted photo page, called 'Original Image'. By clicking on the 'Original Image', all the old critiques, comments will be displayed. And since it's newer, a user will be more likely to see it first anyway since it will be displayed first.

"The more opportunities the user has to access the photo, the better, in my opinion."

That's true also. I can do this very, very easily. Search will still be the same. I'll see how it goes for now. I can always change that later on. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 11-21-2002, 05:17 AM
TE Senior Member

Great Adam!

I updated my two shots for which suggestions had been made. This feature lets the site function much more like a workshop, which is something I've been looking for.

I would like to see 'before' and 'after' comments along with the final version. Maybe stick a break/comment between comments that apply to current and earlier version. Something like...

Comment 4
Comment 3
-- Photo updated --
Comment 2
Comment 1

Then I can read all the posts about the picture, refer to the original if I want to see the basis for the change.

But, hey, it's great the way it is.

Old 11-21-2002, 05:31 AM
TE Expert

Thanks, how's that for turn-around? I can be very responsive to member requests since the user-base is so small. Keep the ideas coming! I'll try to add in cool features over time.
Old 11-21-2002, 06:23 AM
TE Senior Member

What do you mean it's not trivial? You had this change done in about 2 hours. No sweat, right? :)

Seriously I'm impressed by the cool feature & quick implementation!
Old 11-21-2002, 06:55 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Bugs?

I uploaded two revised photos. They counted against the daily allowance. I don't have a problem with that, just wanted to let you know.

Then I uploaded a third photo. Got the country wrong, there's no way to change that once the photo is uploaded. I deleted it so that I could upload under correct country.

That used up my three opportunities until tomorrow. Oh well,....
Old 11-21-2002, 08:41 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Bugs?

Yes, uploading revised photos do count against the daily limit as it is a new photo. I may change this limit later on.

As far as the country part, it's a 2 part stage which will minimize problems I think. The reason is after you do the initial upload, it's still necessary to choose the corresponding state. Anyway I fixed your daily upload limit so you still have one left. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 11-21-2002, 10:16 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Bugs?

Just to add, I will eventually get around to allowing country changes for photos also.
Old 11-21-2002, 07:21 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Repost carry forwards...

How about carrying forward the shutter speed, f-stop type information with the repost?

I have no problems with the repost counting against the daily limit. Just letting you know.

I'll just be more careful when uploading pics from various countries at the same time.

BTW, love the 'NEW' tags.

Have you noticed that both updated and original versions can turn up on the front page at the same time?