Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Travel

Notices

Old 06-05-2008, 01:37 AM
TE Expert

Default Vietnam

Has anyone any advice for someone going to Vietnam for 3 weeks? Things not to miss. Things that should be missed;) The food. What time of the year to go. Etc.
Any advice or piece of information would be most welcome.

thanks a lot!

Marc
Old 01-09-2009, 06:01 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Vietnam

Well Vietnam is very diverse so I couldn't advise on what to miss and what not, feel free to email me what you want to see/do and I can help better.

For exotic location, the northern-east region of the country is very beautiful this time of the year, with tribes celebrating the lunar new year . Eitheir that or Phu Quoc island, the southern most part of Vietnam, nice nature/landscape with jungles and falls plus calm beaches.

This country is the united nation in term of food, you can get anything here so don't worry bout that.

From now to early Feb is the lunar new year month, so it'll be fun but crowded everywhere. From March on to July it'll be hot, and July to October a raining hell.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:06 AM
TE Newbie

Hi,

I've been for 3 weeks or so in Vietnam, did not travel alot in the country, spent my time mainly in Saigon and Hoi An.
Hoi An is a very photogenic town in the middle of the country, lovely French colonial architecture, should be included on your list.
in Saigon, if you want to get off the beaten track for a while, head for District 5, is an amazing place to photograph. Although it has a very rough appearence
Old 11-11-2009, 03:38 AM
TE Newbie

You should come to visit this country, beautiful nature, colorful minorities and interesting cuisine. Do not miss the chance to enjoy a Halong Bay tour, a Sapa trekking tour, a tour to 3 world heritage sites in the center and beach vacations at some of the most beautiful and worldwide famous beaches such as Nha Trang beach, Mui ne beach, Hoi An beach and Phu Quoc Beach. Nice places for shoppers are Hanoi capital and Ho Chi Minh city.

Vietnamese foods are the must try for you, delicious and tasty. Remember to enjoy a bowl of Pho Hanoi which is the most famous dish in the north of Vietnam made from rice and chicken or beef. many other dishes you can try once you come here.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:22 AM
TE Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to nhanfoto

if you visit mekong delta i may help you some information.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:31 AM
Banned

Thumbs up And Ha Long bay, a Must!

This is my memory of Ha Long tour with Oriental Sails cruise:

We left Hanoi on a shuttle bus with our tour guide Khoa and 10 other tourists. It took about 3 hours and a half to arrive to Ha Long. We stopped for a 20 minute short break on the way at a handicraft center. The bus journey was great even it was a long distance. Our tour guide Khoa is a nice one, he is so knowledgeable and humorous. He knows the way to connect people in the group and we shared our experiences in Vietnam, talked about our trip and of course got a lot of information about Vietnam and Ha Long Bay from Khoa. That was really great.
We spent 2 day tour on Oriental Sails boat. It is such a nice one with very beautiful sundeck (i like it a lot) and well-equiped rooms. Besides, staff on boat was so friendly with big smiles always. Every service on this boat is excellent. After the lunch on boat, we visited Amazing Cave, a nice cave but a little touristic. Then it was a much exciting time. We visited another cave named Luon on kayak. That was the first time I did kayaking and I enjoyed it a lot. We even saw some monkeys in Luon Cave. Then it was the time for swimming in sunset on the b ay. it was the most beautiful moment on this trip. You will never forget the food once you've been to Vietnam. All the meals on Oriental Sails were fantastic especially dinner. it was exquisitely presented.
The second day was a different experience. We visited a fishing village. You can't imagine how it is until you come there. There are about 174 households with more than 700 villagers. All of them are living in small floating houses...
Small people with smile are still in my mind. That was my unforgettable tour to Ha Long bay...

You can easily find information about the cruise and tours. It is very famous!
Old 07-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Banned

Smile

Vietnam is going to hold 1000 years anniversary so i think u shoud do soon, Food i tried was Pho - noodle. I must say that I went crazy with bun cha that i called it every lunch.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:46 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Manamo

...a little late to the party but I figured I would post. Just returned a month ago

Saigon: The Beautiful Saigon Hotel was excellent. Small boutique type hotel in an excellent (Better wording: lively, lots to see, alot of people, great bars) part of town. About $30 USD a night.

Hoi An is a must. One of my favorite towns in the world. The Ha'an hotel is perfectly situated...

Sapa ...hiking, culture, older type tribal areas...

Halong Bay: simply beautiful but touristy.

Hanoi - stay in the old quarter...

If you are going for culture, you'll love it.
John
Old 01-12-2011, 10:20 AM
TE Newbie

There is neither a best time nor a bad time to travel to Vietnam. Hot summer or cold weather is not that big a deal. Beaches are always available from North to South.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:27 AM
TE Newbie

Don't miss the world famous Dragon fruit of Vietnam. It is like a dragon from out side and is black and white inside.