Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > TE Projects

Notices

Old 12-29-2004, 02:48 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: TE Calendar/Book for Tsunami Victims?

i agree with any action. May the forum host give mass mail to all members regarding how to donate/support/contribute once the decision is made?
Old 12-29-2004, 05:39 AM
TE Expert

Great if we at TE, can do something about it as a community. Just some ideas thrown in (and a stupid question), which other may have proposed already in this thread.

stupid question first:
is the timing ok, for publishing a 2005 calendar at 3 days of the New year (though the idea is maybe to market it only to TE members?)

1) no star system, 12(?) pictures should come from TE photographers from the affected areas, I mean either nationals or people living or having lived there (like Henk in Tamil nadu, Manny in Thailand...). If possible.

2) I agree that the photos should be uplifting, wether they are about the tragedy (acts of compassion, courage, dedication, resilience, etc...) or about the country/people/culture affected. Though i think a choice has to be made, one or the other. Would be a bit unfocussed to turn months going from one to the other. On the other hand, just a full page of big thumbnails about the tragedy and aftermath after the calendar months, could be as well, since photos of rescue or post-tragedy emotions and resilience may prove a tough act to bring up for non-professionals, concerning full page shots.

3)or simply, ask our members to look at shots from these locales, and make a choice. And we let Adam and photo-publication savvy people pick out one from the most voted for.

Thanks Adam for the thought.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:56 AM
TE Expert

there was an ad in the newspaper by this NGO which was asking for help with regard to the children in the affected areas..

SOS

this organisation has set up camps in almost all the calamities that have taken place in india for a long time.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:32 AM
TE Expert

Thanks for everyone's thoughts on how to help with this tragedy. I will try to consolidate several responses in this reply, and outline some steps which can be taken to move this idea forward. Several issues could be broken up into separate forum discussions. A new forum can be set up so these discussions can be grouped together.

-Financial contributions are not necessary for this project.

-Although a book would be preferable to publish, due to time constraints and lack of experience, it seems a calendar would be quicker and easier to produce. Using Lulu publishing a calendar may begin with any month, i.e. Feb. 2004 - Jan. 2005. Not ideal, but doable. What languages to use for the calendar? English/French? English only?

-Uplifting photos from the affected areas to memorialize their life rather than mourn their death should be used. Which photos to be used? 35mm rectangular size per month should be used if possible. Or maybe 2 square formatted images (small, large). Requirements are 3300x2550 pixels (shortest side), at 300 pixels per inch. (new thread should be opened to suggest photos to be used.)

-Selected charities should be local to the affected areas, i.e. from Indonesia, Sri Lanka, India and Thailand. Sohrab has already suggested a couple of them. Other longstanding, active members from the affected areas could suggest which charities to use. (new thread should be opened to discuss.)

-What should the title be (on front cover)? (new thread)

-What design to use? Skorj has offered to help with the design based on his experience working on the toycamera calendar. Size should be 3300x2550 at 300p/i. Are there any designers who can help out?

-Once photos are made available, is there someone who can act as an editor to make sure they are properly sharpened, color casts removed etc?

Thanks again for everyone's input on this.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:25 AM
TE Junior Member

Haven't read any of the many replies to this, but sounds like a good idea to me. Maybe concentrate no a theme, such as children?
Old 12-29-2004, 09:51 AM
TE Expert

Thanks for the update, Adam. Excuse my ignorance, but I understand the photos will have to be of the largest format (8MB)if i follow your pixel count? And will they be (resized) posted in a special folder on TE, as you receive them?

H
Old 12-29-2004, 09:59 AM
TE Newbie

Excellent idea. It's probably a bit late for a calendar, so a book would be better.

I would be happy to help with preparing (writing/editing/proofreading) any written content.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:23 PM
TE Expert

The Red Cross of Thailand is a reputable, highly respected organization under the direct patronage of HM the King.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:19 PM
TE Junior Member

Very good idea and thanks for this initiative Adam !
Old 12-29-2004, 05:50 PM
TE Senior Member

Looking at all the interest which is also mine to express and participate. Looking at problems flydragon had to send a post. And also to a Theme "tsunami memorial".
I would like to suggest to the profit of a future publication to instore at a next day a day where we can send out of the TOS PP pictures, this should allow the non photographers of this area to propose a message , artistic message in relation whith this tragedy and may be find something to add to the "photos from this area before".
Come on everybody be creative, one more great photo could come from this and me be bring the project.
Statisticaly we should have 2.5% of "immense" artists there :)))
Jean Michel