Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Travel

Notices

Old 11-14-2007, 12:08 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Spain

Surprisingly, there seems to be no discussion about Spain in this part of the forum.

Just wondering if anybody can recommend where to go in the country? I'm after a good mix of lifestyles, from large cities to the smaller ones. Expect to be there for around 2 weeks.

Thanks,

Brendan
Old 11-14-2007, 12:33 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Spain

Also I'm quite keen to view a bull fight, so any recommendations on that would also be appreciated (i.e. buying tickets, where abouts)
Old 11-14-2007, 12:46 PM
TE Senior Member

Spain is brilliant. Lots of peeps go to Barcelona, which is cool, but far from my favorite. I quite like the north Atlantic coast, from the Basque country to Galicia. It's very nice there with amazing landscapes. There's a lot going on in the basque country in terms of people doing dangerous things with bulls.
Otherwise Sevilla is my fav city, easy. It's awesoem there and there's a big bull fighting arena too! The surroundings are nice too.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:21 PM
TE Senior Member

For some genuine Spain, you should visit Andalucia. The Sevilla/Cordoba/Granada triangle shouldn't be missed because it shows you some of the Spanish most well known landmarks like the Allambra. The southern way of living can be fully tasted there, so I highly recommend this part of the country. Sevilla is the city to see bull fighting but I really don't know if there are some shows in this time of the year. Normally, the season spreads over Summer. You have to check that. Great cities include Barcelona and Valencia for superb architecture. Barcelona is my favorite city in the country. Salamanca is a great University city that vibrates with life. For some fairy tale walled cities with castles you should check Toledo, Avila, Segovia and other cities in the Castilla Leon region. The windmills are in Castilla La Mancha north of Andalucia (close to Toledo). The famous ones are in Consuegra. If you like mountain scenery my favorite ones are in the Asturias region (in the north atlantic coast). The Picos de Europa National Park is great for trekking.
Hope it helps, l.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:25 PM
TE Senior Member

Thanks for your answer Luis (and Nicoz). I should also be visiting Portugal after Spain, but I see you've already given a similar answer in the forum.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:12 PM
TE Senior Member

Be sure to send me an email if you want to meet the Lisbon squad! :)
Old 11-14-2007, 06:53 PM
TE Senior Member

Will do mate!
Old 11-15-2007, 10:55 AM
TE Newbie

Hello you three ! I was about to write something about interesting locations in Spain but after having read what Luis said i am speechless . Are you sure you are Portuguese , Luis ? ( few people could have provide such detailed info about where to go in Spain ) Well...There are many ways of approaching Spain and Spanush culture (filled with the most folkloric prejudices ). So in case you look for what can be considered as the typical Spain :

Sevilla (you will find there all the Spanish topics and if you re interested in bull fights , Maestranza arena near Gold tower and Guadalquivir is the real mecca ) . Near Sevilla , Cordoba( the mosque really worths paying a visit . Between Sevilla and Cordoba there are some interesting villages to stop , have a look and continue the trip : Ecija , Carmona ...) . Of course Granada is the star(for my liking the most interesting ad beautiful city in Spain and perhaps among the nicest in the world . It has absolutely everything , its spell , history , atmosphere but try to get your tickets for Alhambra by getting them through internet or through some banks (queues are extremely long) .If you leave Granada and drive south to Sierra Nevada mountains close to the tropical coast you will be transported into another world . Maybe it is the real flavour of Granada region , those little whitish villages steeped on the mountains in the Alpujarra Granadina (Bubion , Pampaneira , Capileira , Lanjaron ...)

Also Madrid (and surroundings : Toledo (1 day is enough) , Segovia (another day) , San Lorenzo del Escorial (half a day to visit the monastery which is considered one of the most interesting architectonical landmarks in Spain)

Barcelona is interesting for street photography (specially the human beehive in Ramblas ,narrow alleys in the Gothic quartier , Gaudi and his modernism scattered all around , mainly in Passeig de Gracia (for Barcelona i would spend 2 intensive days )

I am from Valencia and for me it is the most interesting place in Spain with all one can need : nice beaches , modern architecture mixed with the most ancient reminiscences of the arab and medieval period in the old town , a nice harbour with a scent of a fishermen village , Calatrava architecture and nice Mediterranean weather ( 2 days can be enough)

Other cities i would include :

-Donostia (San Sebastian): don't miss it , a real jewel in Northern Spain , Euskadi(Basque country) .

-Santiago de Compostela (in Galicia)

-Cantabric coast (Northern Spain): nice landscapes and little sea villages but bad weather is frquent by there .

-Other Andalusian villages : Ronda , Tarifa , Arcos de la Frontera

_Extremadura is rather interesting on your way to Portugal , if you have the chance some quick visits to certain villages would be interesting : Trujillo (Pizarro , Peru's conqueror was born there . It is a well preserved medieval little village ), Caceres , Merida (Roman city with rich archeology) . It is not far from Lisbone (3-4 hours driving)

Hope it helps and you have a great time here
Old 11-22-2007, 08:53 AM
TE Expert

Hi Brendan:
I think Andalucia is pretty strong on character. If you can rent a car I would suggest you go to the "white villages" which are scattered inland from Marbella. Otherwise, I haven't been there but I have heard that Cadiz is a hidden gem, a nice vibrant city with a lot of personality but not so well known as Sevilla or Granada.

Galicia is pretty beautiful, although because of the celtic herritage and the rain and green it may remind you somewhat of Britain.

Otherwise in Castilla Leon near Zamora there are many nice castles, towns and villages.

Cheers
Old 11-22-2007, 05:32 PM
TE Senior Member

it may remind you somewhat of Britain.

I'll cross that one off the list then ;)