Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photography

Notices

Old 11-23-2004, 11:00 PM

Default India by Dariusz Klemens

sometimes I discover gems in photo.net... like today, when I found pictures from India taken by a Polish photographer Dariusz Klemens - click here... simply a beautiful work.
i think he is a professional photographer and he had published some books on India...
Old 11-26-2004, 03:33 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: India by Dariusz Klemens

i have the book but i don't like it taht much Maciek..
The way it's printed isn't good and the pictures like the cover, aren't all excellent..
He lives not far from you, in London..
Take care.
claude
Old 11-26-2004, 03:35 PM
TE Senior Member

funny ,
they look a lot better on this site than in the book.
I like them here..
The way the book is composed is terrible..
Old 11-30-2005, 03:02 PM
TE Newbie

I also have the book and I love it. In fact, there must be many people who love it since it was almost impossible to get hold of it just a few months after it was published. Whilst I agree with you that the format of the book is at time insensitive to the images, I think the material is absolutely first rate. Here is a photographer who seems able to find beauty even in the most seemingly unattractive corners of this amazing country. I gather Klemens has been photographing India for over a decade and I think this shows not only in the breadth of the material, but also - and most importantly - in the relationship he establishes with his subjects. People seem to 'bare themselves' to his lens, or perhaps the lens seems to render them bare, I am not sure. What I do know is that the images are haunting; Klemens seems to render every day actions sacred. They are not only highly accomplished photographs at a technical level, they are also supremely honest, if not poetic. By contrast, I must say that I find your own work on India rather dull, bland and utterly uninspiring. Your images seem badly exposed and poorly framed; thus they remain 'flat', and somewhat dead. In short, looking at your photographs, I'd suggest that there is much that someone like you could learn from someone like Dariusz Klemens. It seems to me that you have a long way to go before you could even think about criticising someone of his calibre.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:23 PM

Default Teach me...

Alex,

If Claude cannot express his PERSONAL opinion about that author, because according to you Claude is not a good photographer, I’m wondering what gives you the right for you to express over Claude’s work!

By YOUR LOGIC, if someone showing his work about the same subject cannot express his opinion, than you should be the first one to be shut up as I see 0 photos in your portfolio!!!

Maybe you should be more tolerant and accept that the fact not all people share the same vision over things is what makes mankind rich.

And I bet that if Dariusz Klemens had since his beginning the kind of blind idolatry you have over him and not one critical view about his work, he would be by now only taking snapshots of his family, cat and dog…

Be tolerant and respectful.

And since you seem to know so much why don’t you show some generosity and teach us all that you seem to know. Explain in specific words how to avoid taking “dull, bland and utterly uninspiring” and “badly exposed and poorly framed” photos… We are all here to learn and that would be a real contribution for us all.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:39 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Teach me...

well, it looks like Claude's India inspired him enough to register on this very day he replied, and in a cowardly anonymous manner at that, which I believe, nullifies anything he has to say about Claude's photography. This was a personal attack and should be deleted. IMO, of course.

Thanks, Maciej, for the link. I still have to look at it. I must say it's nice to navigate the galleries of these other sites, but rarely do we get shivers from great or cool work, people are too often confusing quantity and quality (guilty!), and we have to look to a few dozens shots before getting the one that makes us say: yes!
Old 11-30-2005, 11:36 PM
TE Expert

Salut Claude
seems like someone really loves you TE ...
seems like the Indiatraveller dude created this account just to say good things about your photography ... lols
peace
Sarju
PS: Thanks for the link Maceij ... enjoyed it.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:09 AM
TE Expert

Reveal your real identity COWARD. We all know you set up a new ID so that your real ID here on TE would remain secret. I find people like you worthless. WHERE ARE YOUR PHOTOS COWARD?
Old 06-29-2006, 06:08 PM

again. I have just found that Dariusz has opened his website - you can see it www.dklemens.com

lots of great images, I have been to India several times and looking at his photos I think I wasted all the opportunities I had...
Old 06-29-2006, 09:12 PM
TE Junior Member

For sure they're highly competent photographs, especially in terms of colour, but personally I don't find very much feeling in them. They're mainly beautiful views, which isn't quite enough to be great (although way more than I could hope to achieve).