TE Expert

Default Re: 30 years ago

Did we call for BS ?
Old 10-30-2007, 01:10 PM
TE Expert

JUST DO IT!

HOW CLOOOOSE CAN YOU GET???

HOW CAN YOU GO TO BURMA AFTER SEEING THIS PICTURE?

How CUTE can you get?

I know:
Let's start a new website with the following motto:
"Learning about the world through cute pics of big-eyed third world kiddies"
Don't hesitate:

JUST DO IT
Old 10-30-2007, 03:26 PM
TE Expert

"Did we call for BS ?"
Aren't you a little short in your reply, buddy... come on, self critisizing is the topic... you can learn too :)

A bit disappointed, I have seen you more elaborate, you the so-much-righteous-than-you-are prophet who :
- carries (or asks someone to carry) the most expensive lenses and equipment but denounces whoever buys similar or dare even talk about equipment,
- regularly floods the forum with endless sentences written in an extra-terrestrial language (or it might be a Volapük we may not know yet) to point the people who "talk and talk and talk" or "photo with their mouth"(sic)
- points a stick to who speaks about processing techniques while you're using ad nauseam some of the most artificial PP in this site. (Not me assessing that : do you remember Claude's last critique on your images).

"if you only had read my intro, maybe you could understand why ... same why George uses his settings ..."
Still not understood this point, share your "creativity" with us : c'mon JUST DO IT!... :))) ...
Old 10-30-2007, 06:16 PM
TE Expert

Have no idea who you write that for, Francis, but yes, I think it would be great to criticize how deep you go into a country, what we do there, how much we see, show, wish to photograph, wish to withold or share after, how much we should be unaffected by our own emotions, only cold detached witness, but zero in on pain like a laser a tumor, never even show how photography is also a way to celebrate life (and screw the ones who can't get that and have to be so freakin' serious about anything)), be it thru the laughing eyes of a child, and that photography is very serious, not to be let to people easily affected with the joys of others as they meet them.

And on the contrary, only see the craft as angles, DOF, drama, how one's latest photography is webb-ish, or winograd-ish, or I dunno what, but never your own truly, and that children portraits are way way below your standards.

Me, I don't piss higher than I can. I love children, and yes, i often forget DOF, exposure, angle, because I forget I am trying to do photography, yet, loves to keep that little bit of ephemerous of a moment with me, like trying to keep time and oblivion, and indifference at bay. And i don't shoot misery and play photo-journalist just to post it on some mega-site as if I was revealing something to the entire world. Just to have the same buddies throw me their daily smyley.

I am all for discussing that, and scream, and shout, and get at each other, the way I see it: either one is passionate or one is not....
Old 10-30-2007, 08:33 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: 30 years ago, part II

True, but I'd rather open it with a key than have to batter it down! Paul.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:47 PM
TE Senior Member

the advantage of getting older ;)
Obi-wan will be proud.
"they have mastered the key", he would possibly have mumbled.
Never mind me, it's late :)
Old 10-30-2007, 11:01 PM
TE Expert

Going back to the subject...I should tell you that TE has been really useful to me because very often I cannot judge my own photos, so I let TE folks judge it. It is just my lack of sensibilities and training, I suppose, never having been exposed to art systematically before discovering TE.

But I should also add that I am yet to fathom why a few of my photos are so well liked when I personally think they are mediocre at best (e.g., <a href="http://www.trekearth.com/viewphotos.php?l=5&p=198662">this
Old 10-31-2007, 12:55 AM
TE Expert

There is no telling, Animesh. Some photos seem to have different responses, if on one site or another. I also think there is a definite type of photographic style that people instantly take into, even more so if they are familair with the poster. For example, landscapes with grand vista well exposed, shot in a good light will beat any portrait anytime, as ethnic and dramatic as these may be.

Here, in your shot, you have both easy readability of subject, mood and a silhouetting technique also easily readable and usually pleasing and dramatic enough to catch the eye. When the photo does not need too much analyzing, and is pleasing, and people know you well on a site, it just adds up. Also, maybe take what people say with a grain of salt. In the profession itself, we'd be in for a better appraisal of our photos and portfolios.

I have friends in the publishing business, a few publishded photographers, and I still withold showing them what i do, I am just not ready, with no personal style, inkling (besides traveling) or vision, that could be appraised photographically, and i know it. Meanwhile, my passion for photography and taking pictures has not died down, so absolutely no frustration.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:01 AM
TE Expert

to this date I haven't taken a photo a really like, all have many weakneses and each one of them have something missing to make me satisfied, hopefully one day I will take a photo I truly like.

tried reading through some of the replies and have to admit I am having a difficulty understanding what this thread is exactly about, hope my simplistic reply is on topic.

Peter
Old 10-31-2007, 03:19 AM
TE Expert

I don't think it is possible, Peter, to completely like any of one's own photographs.

Unlike the secondary viewer, you "know" how the photo was taken, you know the series of events leading up to the pressing of the shutter, the exact light, smell and associated other events, which you try to reproduce in the PP, but because of that it will be impossible to catch that exact experience, and there will always be that "what if I had instead done this". A secondary viewer, however, looks at it more objectively as an entity isolated from extraneous previous real experiences.

You will try to compare (consciously or unconsciously) the photo to what was the reality AND to your notions of good images. Others will only try to compare it to their own notions of images, not to what was the reality.

Just a thought...