Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 10-29-2007, 05:29 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Criticizing your own work

if I don't post images, how will I get critiques / advice that might help me improve?
---------------------------------------------
Well, we are all different, for me I do not see TE as the place where people improve on their photography, ONCE they've improved the technical side and got used to look at photos, which I believe happen within the first year of membership.

If I do not post images myself, it's because I am like everyboy else on the site, I enjoy TE as i wish to. For me, that does not include posting only once a day, as well as keeping with a system that has brought down the overall quality of posting, which is more and more akin to archiving than bettering. Lately, more and more pix with absolutely no processing (fewer notes too) that even your local quick-print store would be ashamed to print as such.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:14 PM
TE Senior Member

Default 30 years ago

Herve,
I was talking about young kids picking up a camera.
Because they share more on the internet, they seem to develop much faster, experiment more, try out more.
You learn from your mistakes, the more you make, the better.
For me, I know few photographers, but I like Anton Corbijn, Ed van der Elsken. Typical Dutch photographers.
I like it when a photo took time to make.
Henk (oochappen) and George (polonaise) come closest to me here on TE. I don't need color, I need a story, some imperfection for the mind to start thinking.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:27 PM
TE Senior Member

Default 30 years ago, part II

Paul,
I got the same problem, I cannot feel the digital.
Still, by hitting the wall long enough, it might one day understand we're looking for the door.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:41 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: 30 years ago

Hi David. I'm not sure I agree with your assertion that experimentation naturally leads to improvement and that mistakes help make you better.

There's a lot of photographers on a great many websites that haven't even read the instruction manual for the camera they use and have no knowledge of how to control light by means of shutter speed and aperture. Ownership and use of a digital camera (or any camera for that matter) doesn't automatically qualify anyone as a photographer, in my opinion.

Until most people get some formal / detailed training in the basics of controlling light, they stumble around in the dark (so to speak) with no real clue how to improve the results.

Personally, I blame the "Programme" mode on most cameras and the "point and shoot" camera where the camera does everything for you. It doesn't. It makes a series of often wrong assumptions and produces a RAW or JPEG file from which it is almost impossible to obtain a good photo.

I was lucky. When I took up photography, there weren't even built-in light meters as far as I know. If there were, my camera didn't have one! I had to read books and shadow my dad until I learned about EV's and then how to print a photo I'd taken.

These days, although my photos are not the most inspired, original or creative, they're always well exposed and sharp where they need to be. Yes, I use auto settings - but I know where and how to use compensation and using "Manual" excites me rather than scares me. My problem is getting used to a digital darkroom - but I'm reading and I'm learning.

You are absolutely right though about the need for something to "say" when taking a photo. How many photos have we seen on TE where the point of taking the photo at all is questionable. They're also often the sort of photo that comes without any form of comment or story.

Best wishes,

Paul.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:59 PM
TE Expert

I don't need color, I need a story
-----------------------------------

Exactly, though Henk likes to push his colors a bit at processing time ;-).

But that's the point I am making, very little is written in critiques on how someone is bringing up the "story". Or it's taken for granted as what I saw today, a close up of a craggy old face, often with extra-sharpened wrinkles, meaning hard life story. Improvement would be for the photographer to really learn the story, add richness by thinking context or capture complexity of mood. That's improvement, taking your 1000th portrait well exposed, right on focus, as if one shot birds in the sky with a rifle (got it!) is not.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:19 PM
TE Expert

likes to push his colors ... you were calling me ?

Herve, if you only had read my intro,
maybe you could understand why ...
same why George uses his settings ...
Personally I don't do "photography",
only abuse it,
maybe once you'll find the reason why ?

I leave all the theory and so called art-knowers for what they are,
they talk and talk and talk,
shooting photos with their mouth ... shame upon them.

My message to you,
just do it,
share your wondering eyes,
discovering the world again and again with your heart,
share this joy,
just do it,

CREATE OR DIE
Old 10-29-2007, 11:31 PM
TE Expert

Hi Henk,

why being defensive, it was just a blink. I am sharing, I am sharing, but I must say the old buddies from TE take little interest in it, save Luko who kindly commented on many of my new shots on Pbase, and maciej too. That's another thing with the photo site world, so much selfishness, so little encouragement from people you'd think after 2 or 3 years would take interest in what you do. Thank God for the kindness of sttrangers! :-)
Old 10-30-2007, 12:23 AM
TE Expert

Herve, why talking of Pbase on TE where same members try to hook together like they did already on TE, talking about selfishness and the so called 'would like to be' photographers, no thanks, I use Pbase as an archive, a personal site, where I can create a lot more with layout and presentation.

Why not bringing your discussions then to Pbase, you don't share anything here on TE !
Words, words, words ... are you that much in need of publicity ? Post some in the sea of TE.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:52 AM
TE Expert

I don't talk of Pbase, I answered Francis. Why make a big deal of that, as if Pbase was such a great feather on my crown? What is wrong in preferring to share one's trip, or one event as a whole?

Do as you see fit, I choose to participate on the net, TE or other, as i wish. I do not think it is detrimental to anyone, but if people think like you, please guys, let me know, I will leave.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:07 AM
TE Expert

Hahaha, Hervé... Looks like you mentioned the wrong persons to "Nike" Oochappan... ;D
It was like agitating the red cloth.

It's interesting that Henk writes in a "self critisizing" thread.

Yeah, let's make it Henk's thread, as he doesn't write much in the forums...
It's interesting to have a "real photographer" opinion (in opposition to the "would be photographers" like I suppose, in Henk's opinion, Maciek or Claude...) : why do you say "same as George" for instance.
Honestly, I don't see the point, but maybe you would be kind enough to elaborate, please, if you think we are still worthy...