Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > General

Notices

Old 10-24-2007, 10:19 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Lens Lust and other ramblings.

Well once again, i reach the point in life where i need another lens, but do I really need another lens?
When I first bought my D200 i bought a 35mm f2 lens and dillied around with that for a while. Then camed the 12-24mm for some experimentation with wide angles quickly followed by a 60mm macro for a small telephoto. But then soon after I got bored with that set up and bought a 80-200 f2.8 zoom in time for my vacation. Move on 6 months. After not taking a single pic for several weeks I finally bought a normal range zoom and for the first time in ages felt satisfied.

Move on 3 months and after carrying around the 18-70 and 12-24 i find myself always going back to the ultra wide and occassionally using the 35mm f2. But now i want something else. I'm looking at the 50mm AIS F1.2 and maybe a 135mm f2 or 150mm macro (sigma). Why? Well the 35mm f2 doesn't really cut it for me anymore. I want something a little longer..(and faster) and then something else a little longer, but with a different use (the old 'up close and personal' desire).

Mmmmm the choices. I'm not asking for advice on lens its just that every 6 months or so i like to get a few things off my chest and a forum is a fine place to do just that!
Old 10-24-2007, 03:01 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: Lens Lust and other ramblings.

Will,
I had a look at your photos, opening the ones that I found most interesting. Most of them had the 12-24.
Some where the 35, but I liked the quality of the 12-24 better.
Maybe it's not the style you like best, but it is the style that you do the best. They seem to be taken more careful.
'Seem', because I doubt if you suddenly change your attitude if you change lens :)
You're good in handling a lot of information in a photo, especially when in a city.
So I'd say go for the 50.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:24 PM
TE Newbie

I understand the lens lust. I've had my Nikon D80 for 6 months; started with an 18-70 and a 55-200. But I sure would like to have a 12-24 and maybe even a 10 so I can do those 3 shot circular panorams. I read somewhere that a Nikon with a 10mm lens is the best for that type of panorama. Of course I am also wondering why I didn't buy a D200 and now the D300 is whispering "Charlie" in my ear :-)

On the other hand, I don't really know but I have read very little good about Sigma. Basically the reviewes that I've read say that they're good if they're good but the quality control is awfull. So for now, I'm staying away from the sigma. There are two other after-market companies that make the 12-24 and I may buy one of those but will probably stay with Nikon.

As an aside, the 12-24mm lens here in Switzerland is almost twice the price of ordering from B&H. I might actually be able to fly to New York, buy the lens, fly home and pay the same total cost; with a vacation thrown in.

But if you don't need that 12-24 anymore, when you coming to Switzerland ?

Charlie
Old 10-25-2007, 12:45 AM
TE Junior Member

Ooops, i meant to say that i have a Tokina 12-24mm. Its a good lens, but suffers from purple fringing a lot during night shots. Not a problem for black and white portriats though.

I'll tell you what Charlie. If i decide to get the Nikon 12-24mm, I'll fly into Switzerland and swap the Tokina for a night out on the beers!
Old 10-25-2007, 03:19 PM
TE Expert

I honestly think for a crop Nikon such as your D200, you cannot do better than the 17-55 F2.8 - vey solid performer with nice bokeh to boot. I'd sell the 35 (or better still keep it but sell the 12-24 and the 18-70) and I bet you 80% of your shots will naturally fall within that 17-55 range with terrific quaity. Then you have the superb 70-200 f2,8 as a sister lens, and the little 35 f2 for night shooting (doubling as a sort of macro as I recall). Yes, those 3 lenses would simplify things. What say you?
Old 10-26-2007, 03:21 AM
TE Junior Member

those lenses sound fine Francis, but i wanted to limit the amount of glass that i have to lug around (especially for travelling). I've been enjoying the 12-24mm range and figured a 50mm and the 150mm macro should suit me better. Maybe i could get the 17-55 actually, but its a fair wad of cash to spend!
Old 10-26-2007, 06:11 AM
TE Expert

Hi Will,

I have 50mm AIS F1.2 Nikkor if you are interested, it is in a very good condition.

cheers.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:56 PM
TE Junior Member

As much as i want to buy the lens off you Evren (and believe me I do) I'm gonna get one on the weekend as have urgent use of one!
Old 10-27-2007, 01:15 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Will.

I have the 17-55mm lens that Francis refers to and it's seldom off the front of my D200. It's pin sharp edge to edge and is a perfect partner for the D200. Another, cheaper option is the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 which is a lot lighter but is also very sharp (but not as sharp as the Nikkor).

In fact, I took my D200, MB-D200 attery pack, Tamron 11-18mm, Nikkor 17-55mm, Nikkor 50mm f1.8, Nikkor 70-300mm VR and SB600 flash on honeymoon to the Maldives in a Sligshot 300. Slightly bulky - but passed no problem as hand luggage and not too heavy to carry round.

If you can afford one, buy it as it's a stonkingly good piece of glass and should hold its value better than most lenses.

Paul.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:59 AM
TE Junior Member

I ended up buying the 105mm micro in the end (but not the VR version). I'm not gonna count out buying a 17-55mm, but i'll see how it goes with this lens. I failed in my attempt to get a 50mm f1.2 AIS though, no one seemed to have one! Tried a manual 135mm f2 will i was there. Great piece of glass, but the focus ring was so stiff! After closer inspection it seemed as if the rubber ring had been replaced and there was still glue present on it. I asked for a discount, but he just looked at me as if i had a melon on my head!

This camera guy had a 105mm macro which wouldn't focus. He claimed my camera was at fault and after trying another D200 he says, "ah no focus, but perfect manual focus!" He then offers me the lens for the same frigging price....won't be visitng him again!