Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Tips-Techniques

Notices

Old 11-21-2004, 02:01 PM
TE Expert

Default CANON LI-Ion Battery BP-511

My Canon 10D digital camera has been supplied with one piece of CANON LI-Ion Battery BP-511 7.4v 1390mAh. I just bought 2 more non-Canon pieces and the info on their back is 7.2v 1500mAh.

I know nothing about the difference or effect of those technical terms. Please advise me if it is OK to use the back-ups with less voltage and more mAh. If not a direct menace to the camera, what may happen in the long range of usage?

Thank you.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:07 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: CANON LI-Ion Battery BP-511

I haven't a direct experience with this particular battery, but don't worry, 7,2v is LOVER than 7,4v, in any case you cannot cause damage to the camera.
1500 mAh express the capacity (also the duration) of the battery, and is bigger (OK!).
I think that 0,2v minus soll be OK, is easy to try some test shots at home
Ciao, Giorgio
Old 11-21-2004, 08:10 PM
TE Senior Member

pps: mAh is 1/1000 of Ampere (misure a electric current) and h is hour, also your battery can provide 1500 milli Ampere for 1 hour at 7,2 Volts.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:38 PM
TE Expert

Thank you for your time to advise me, Giorgio.

So the less-voltage battery is SAFE to power the camera. However, please tell me if the 0.2 volts less may prompt the electronic circuits of the camera to malfunction, or will the camera computed system "misunderstand" and give the photographer some over- or under-exposures or the likes?
Old 11-22-2004, 08:47 AM
TE Senior Member

In teory no, because every battery lose some voltage during the use and a GOOD electronic project take in consideration this. If the circuit is SO sensible to malfunction with 0,2v loss over 7,4V, is also subject to many problems EVEN with the standard battery. But i can't personally guarantee that Canon function PERFECTLY all the time! (i have a Canon S40 but no second battery at the moment): perhaps what can appare is that the camera signal tha battery il low before the time... I think you can easily test that shoting a sequence of photos at home, with viewfinder on + flash etc. and control what happen. Take photos of a subject easy to control.
I'm confident that is all OK,
ciao, Giorgio
Old 08-27-2008, 03:20 AM
TE Newbie

Default Battery Maintenance and User Instructions

What causes short lifetime of battery? How to prolong the lifetime of battery?
1)Reason:
a.Charger or electro circuit can't be fit for the battery.
b.Overcharge and overdischarge, etc.
c.Battery can't comply with the charging requirement
2)Solution:
a.Use the original charger.
b.Charge the battery after it automatically powers off , then full charge the battery.
c.Avoid erroneous usage of battery, such as heavy pressure, short circuit, fall off and so on.

Battery Maintenance and User Instructions

A new battery usually maintains a discharged condition with very low capacity. It is highly recommended to fully charge new battery packs before using. You can refer to the users' guide of your electronic device for charging instructions.
A new battery pack needs to be circled (fully discharged and recharged) three to five times to reach its optimum performance.
Rechargeable battery will undergo self-discharging when left unused for a long period of time. Thus, it should always be stored in a fully charged state and kept in a cool, dry and clean place.
To maintain the optimum performance of a battery pack, it is highly recommended to circle (fully discharging and recharging) it at least once a month.
It is normal if a new battery gets warm when being charged or used. However, please pay special attention if the battery pack becomes excessively hot. This may indicate there is a problem with the charging circuit of the electronic device. Please consult a qualified technician if necessary.
New batteries are hard to be charged. Sometimes, your electronic device may indicate a fully charged condition about 10 to 15 minutes when the new battery pack is being charged for the first time. When this happens, remove the battery pack and let it cool down for about 10 to 15 minutes then repeat the charging procedure. Sometimes, a new battery will suddenly refuse to be charged. If this happens, a suggested solution is trying to remove the battery from the device and insert it again

Battery Tips