Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Tips-Techniques

Notices

Old 11-17-2004, 03:44 PM
TE Expert

Default Mass storage of photos 'on the road'

I have for some days no had my new Archos GMINI 400. A palm sized 20 GB 'ipod'variant.

This is a very small device that can hold thousands of photos and/or be used as a MP3 player etc (or both..)

The advantage of organizing catalouges etc is also a fine advantage.

You can see your photos on a little colour screen, or connect to TV or PC for larger images. Option for slides show.

Your camera card can be inserted in the Archos for transferring of photos - all in seconds (and you just had to have one card with you..)

On travel I have used to go with my PC for storing photos - as for the future this little device will be a part of my camera bag equipment.

..well just for anyone interested :-)

Product homepage <A href="http://www.archos.com/products/overview/gmini_400.html?sid=j22kyy2cbj2y32jb2333fc">here >></A>
Old 11-23-2004, 12:49 AM

Default Re: Mass storage of photos 'on the road'

Yup, that's a good choice, but there are plenty of other options though - including standalone CD burners! Nikon even has a standalone PHD available - the Coolwalker MSV-01 - which might be an even better fit for the Nikon users out there :)

More info about the various options in my FAQ -here-
Old 11-23-2004, 07:48 PM
TE Expert

Looked up the Coolwalker -very interesting unit, din't know about it.

..Still the Archos with options like the MP3 player, slideshow for TV etc, is nice add ons -on travel.

Appreciate your good info webpage Adrian :-)
Old 11-26-2004, 09:46 AM
TE Newbie

I used an Iriver H340 while travelling for a month through China. The device is tiny, well made,has excellent audio capabilities and comes with a 40GB hard drive. I never had any problems with it... I'd shoot for a day or 2, plug the CF2 card into a usb card reader which I'd then plug into the H340. The only drawback is that transfer speed is only USB1 not USB2. battery life was excellent (around 8-10 hours). Plus the firmware now allows video to be played on the colour screen.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:17 PM

Thanks Jack :)

Potential buyers of the iRiver H3xx range need to be aware that the US specification model doesn't support USB-on-the-go, which means you can't just connect a reader to it directly - unlike the models sold in the rest of the world. For the US version you either need a computer or something like the Delkin USB bridge...
Old 11-30-2004, 09:33 PM
TE Junior Member

Luminous Landscape has a very positive review on a new storage unit from Epson.
Old 12-19-2004, 02:20 PM
TE Expert

Forgive me for being in here when I am a novice, but I really need your help.

I just switched from film to digital. We will make one continous trip to Kunming (China), Sa Pa (Vietnam), Vientiane (Laos) and Angkor Wat (Cambodia) — the destinations and time will likely not allow us to refresh the camera storage. We have about 5 GB memory and hope this will be enough for 2 consecutive days. Still, during the long trip, we need to store the raw files into CD or DVD...

Please advise us the best preparation with capacity and verification by display. One of the concern is that we don't want to just burn photos into CD without knowing that they are done successfully. Some friends sadly told us that they thought they had them in discs, then returned home to find out that the discs are blank.

Thank you for any tips you could share or advise. Regards,
Old 12-19-2004, 07:03 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi chu Thanh,

Capacity wise, it is up to the kind of photographer. I am a conservative one (i.e.: I do not shoot anything that comes into view and rarely shoot more than 2 shots on the same subject) and I find that on a good day I can burn through 2GB. So I think you should be safe for 5GB/2days.

On the subject CD/DVD burning, if you use this service and want to make sure that the CD/DVD has the files, you have to ask the guy who did the service to browse to the CD/DVD and show you on the computer screen. That is the only way to make sure.

Due to my security background, I tends to get very anal about computers. I would not trust anyone to handle my files unless I have no other choices. There are enough Internet shops out there that has enough virus/trojan/key logger to freak anyone out. Therefore, I always drag with me my sub-notebook which serves as both a hardrive storage and CD backup device. I also have with me a portable digital wallet to dump the contents of memory card while I am on the field. I told you that I was anal.

For a heavy-usage digital photographer, the best choice is portable digital wallet. There are several of them in the market, I had the Vosonic X-Drive II which I was happy with except for the battery life (20 minutes) and time it takes to copy a memory card (8 minutes/1GB). These drawbacks has forced me to rethink how a portable digital wallet (PDW) should be:

1) Performance: in a typical wedding, I can burn through a 1GB in 10 minutes. I need the PDW to dump as fast as it can so it can be ready for my backup cards.
2) Battery life: I can shoot anywhere from 10GB to 20GB on a typical wedding day, if PDW cannot dump at least 8GB per charge it is not usable.
3) Backup battery: If you are going on a long camping trip or places that electricity are not accessible, you need backup batteries for your PWD.
4) Robustness: I abuse my gear and need the PWD to withstand the knocks.

After a lot of searching, I bought the CompactDrive PD7X portable digital wallet.

1) PD7X can dump 1GB CF card in 3 minutes
2) On 1 full charge, it can dump 25-28GB
3) It uses 4 AA Ni-MH batteries, I can have a loads of them on my trip and never have to worry about battery drains again.
4) The outer case is in aluminum, the hardrive can sustain 900G non-operating and 225G while operating.

Its drawback is a limited support for microdrives due to the high capacity requirement of these drives.

For Myanmar, I left my laptop home because of political upheavals lately in the country and I don't want to be branded as a journalist. The PD7X has performed admirably well in all conditions.

Cheers,
Thien
Old 12-20-2004, 03:06 AM
TE Expert

Default Mass storage 'on the road' with CompactDrive PD7X

Dear Thiện:

1) CompactDrive PD7X portable digital wallet has several models as following. Can you tell me which one you used?:

20GB CompactDrive PD7X Image Tank Portable Storage
40GB CompactDrive PD7X Image Tank Portable Storage
60GB CompactDrive PD7X Image Tank Portable Storage
80GB CompactDrive PD7X Image Tank Portable Storage

2) Then they also have “CompactDrive PD7X Image Tank Portable Storage Device” without capacity specified. What is the difference, and what do we have to add to this one in order for it to function properly?

3) When saying On 1 full charge, it can dump 25-28GB, do you mean one full set of battery’s power capacity?

3) In countries with 220 voltage, how did you manage to recharge your AA Ni-MH batteries? Can we use alkaline battery instead?

Thanks a lot for your time.

Chú Thành
Old 12-20-2004, 05:51 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Mass storage 'on the road' with CompactDrive PD7X

Allo chu Thanh,

1) I am currently has the 60GB CompactDrive PD7X Image Tank Portable Storage with the 5400 RPM with 8 MB cache.

2) The one without capacity is just for the box, there is no internal harddrive. You can buy your own 2.5 inches HD and put it in yourself.

3) Yes, on one full charged set (4 AA 2000mA batteries), it can dump 25-28GB.

4) The PDA itself is a Ni-CA/Ni-MH charger (and a good one too) with the tiniest universal power adapter that I have seen. Great for travel if you ask me. Yes, Alkaline battery can also be used but it does not last as long as Ni-MH since Alkaline is not suited to high current applications.

Cheers,
Thien