Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums > TrekEarth Forum Home > Photos

Notices

Great PixelTerror 2007-09-29 2:37

Hi David,
First congratulations for your 200th post and having created a so diverse gallery, the highlight of which to me being your North Korea series. In this image I like the wide angle effect and the fascinating landscape, you had good shooting conditions and it shows. I have been reading the technical part of your note and am wondering a bit about your findings... First the speed depends on your focal length, I assume you were here closer to 12mm than 24, and even if @ 24mm the adequate shooting speed to avoid blur should have been 1 / (24 * 1.5) sec, you're definitely faster than 1/36s. Now the diffraction, it exists and begins to affect picture quality at various apertures depending on lens quality, mostly beyond f/13 but I find surprising the good lens you use could not stand f/16. To me the focus point was here the key, considering you have an important foreground you should have focused on it, the DoF would still have been sufficient to have sharp background. Oh, and I would definitely not crop this image !
Have a nice day, JY

Old 10-06-2007, 05:33 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To PixelTerror: Focus point the key

Thanks for your insightful critique, Jean Yves. After reading everyone's opinion on this, I tend to agree with you that it was probably more the focus point that was the key. Not using a tripod may also have still been a factor because although the 1/80th is well above your calculation of 1/36th for the minumum speed, the wind factor needs to be taken account of as well. Cheers . . . David